Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Baking up a Batch of Orange Rolls with Handi-Foil

Handi-Foil

Some days you just want something a little sweet.

Not, too sweet though. This has been the curse of my 3rd pregnancy. Chocolate, even just looking at it, seems to give me heartburn every time. The same has been true of many of my favorite sweet treats. This past week I have been lingering on cinnamon rolls. The problem is they would probably be too sweet. But then I got the idea for making orange rolls.

Sweet and full of lovely citrus flavor, I couldn't stop thinking about these.

No, really. I had dreams about them.

Handi-Foil

Armed with a big box of oranges, a jar of marmalade a kind neighbor gifted us over the holidays and a desire to treat myself, I started hunting for recipes.

I didn't find any that actually suited my tastes. I wanted to use simple ingredients, whole wheat flour and real orange juice and zest. With some tweaking, I created a recipe we were all happy with.

http://www.handi-foil.com/

Speaking of picky, the last thing I want to do right now is wash extra dishes. Whether we are going to a potluck or I am preparing to gift a dish to a sick friend I love using the Handi-Foil pans.

I am excited to say that over the next month or two I will have a few more Handi-Foil posts to share with you. Currently I am cleaning out my deep freeze and getting ready to re-fill it with prepared freezer meals for when the baby is born. It is my little gift to my husband. I plan in purchasing many various sizes of Handi-Foil pans to fill with easy breakfast, brunch and dinner ideas.

Today I chose a roaster/baker pan with lid. I could have chosen a cake pan, or something else, but I love how deep this pan is. It is perfect for letting those orange rolls rise and get nice and thick! Whether I'm using it in the smoker, or my oven, I have found so many uses for this multi-purpose pan.

Handi-Foil

I wanted to make this recipe in the bread machine, but you could easily use a stand mixer or mix and knead by hand. Why the bread machine? Well, I love using the dough function to mix and and knead while I work on other projects around the house. I still prefer to bake my bread in the oven, but am so grateful for this little time saver.

Handi-Foil

If you choose to use a bread machine, load the ingredients as your machine suggests. Yes, some models are different. My machine puts the wet ingredients on the bottom, dry in the middle and yeast on top.


One trick to using a bread machine is to check on your dough while it is kneading. With a spatula I can help incorporate any dry bits on the sides of the pan, or adjust if it is too dry or too wet. I also waited to add in a little fresh lemon and orange zest.

Orange Rolls

Let the dough rise, till it doubles in size, in a warm place. I like to spray a big bowl with non-stick spray then top with cling wrap and drape a flour sack cloth over that. It helps to keep it warm and moist for the yeast to do it's work.

Handi-Foil

I love oranges, but am not a fan of marmalade. This was a great chance to put this jar in my pantry to good use. I didn't worry about adding more zest because the marmalade is filled with it. To offset the slightly bitter jam, I added two tablespoons of fresh squeezed orange juice and a teaspoon of local honey.

Handi-Foil

Homemade marmalade, a little honey and orange juice make a lovely sweet filling for these orange rolls.

Handi-Foil

Don't worry if some of the filling oozes out. I just put a little back on top of each roll before letting them rise.


This pan was the perfect size for 12 rolls. Yes, they will still rise and crowd each other after an hour.

Handi-Foil

See! All perfectly puffy and ready to be baked.

Handi-Foil

Bake till they start to turn golden brown on top and around the edges. If you don't want to eat them right away, go ahead and let them cool. I love the lids so I can either keep them safe overnight, or take them to give. A big bow on top would be a nice touch. Even if these are just for myself.

Frost when they are cool or just before serving so the roll remains delicate and not soggy.

Handi-Foil

My Orange Roll Recipe

You Will Need:
For the Rolls - 

  • 1 1/4 c. room temperature water
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. natural orange flavoring
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 c. bread flour
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 c. dry milk powder
  • 1/2 c. potato flakes
  • 1 Tbsp. orange zest
  • 1 tsp. lemon zest
  • 2 1/2 tsp. instant yeast

For the Filling - 

  • 1/3 c. marmalade
  • 2 Tbsp. orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp. honey

For the Glaze - 

  • 1 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp. orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp. milk


Handi-Foil

Add all the ingredients according to your machines instructions. Set for dough cycle. Remove before the first rise and place in a lightly greased bowl, covered, to rise for at least an hour. It should double in size.

Roll out the dough to a 16"x12" rectangle. Mix the filling ingredients and spread over the dough. Leave the edges around your dough free from the filling mixture. Roll and slice into 12 rolls. If you have extra filling, spoon that over the top. Space them out in your pan and cover to rise for another hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Bake the rolls for about 22-24 minutes. Let them cool slightly in the pan before glazing, so the glaze doesn't just melt off. If you don't plan on eating them right away, wait to glaze them so the rolls stay fresh.

Whisk up the icing and drizzle over the top of the orange rolls before serving.

Handi-Foil

Enjoy!

Take to bake, bake and take or freeze to enjoy later, Handi-Foil gives me so many reasons to enjoy baking and sharing my creations. Connect with them on Facebook and browse their entire collection of pans on the Handi-Foil website.

*Disclaimer - This post is brought to you thanks to Handi-Foil, the most trusted name in recyclable container foilware products, made 100% in the USA. All opinions expressed are my own. 
Andrea
Pin It

20 comments:

  1. Wow, those look amazing! So much better than the stuff in a can that I usually make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have similar posts today :) I did the best ever cinnamon buns lol.

    I would have never of thought of orange rolls, they sound (and look) great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love orange rolls although I've only ever made them from the can. Now I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look absolutely delicious. I LOVE those Handi Foil pans! I hate cleaning up a mess so I buy them in bulk because I use them to batch bake my enchiladas and lasagna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you have me hungry for some of these. They look delicious. Pinned so I can come back and print out the recipe to make myself. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy do those sound good----------and as an aside I use ez foil pans a lot!! I usually wash them and reuse them a couple of times--but if things get too messy--out they go!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so delicious! I love those foil containers too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Those looks amazing! I love keeping some of those foil pans handy too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look amazing! I'd love to make them for a brunch sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW- OMG I am soooo saving this recipe!! These look AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am dying over those, just dying! Pinned! This girl is SO going to make this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love coming to your blog to drool - every. single. time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those looks so easy to make, I have never made these before, I love pinned this. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those rolls looks amazing! I love using Handi-Foil for so many of my baking projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, those look so delicious! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to pin your recipes now :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your
    content seem to be running off the screen in Safari.
    I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I'd post
    to let you know. The design look great though! Hope you
    get the issue fixed soon. Cheers

    Here is my web blog - diets that work Fast

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!