Friday, February 8, 2013

Fitting in a Healthy Dinner Before Father Daughter Night - #FishnVeggies

#FishnVeggies

Serving up a delicious, fast and family-friendly meal is not always easy. Especially on big nights in our house. You know, the nights when you spend all day getting ready for a party or event and the last thing on your mind is a sit-down dinner with the family?

Last night was the greatly anticipated Father Daughter Dance. My daughter is 3 and waits all year for the chance to dress up like a princess and dance the night away with (my) Prince Charming. This year I went all out and ordered here a beautiful blue dress months in advance. We found the perfect little sequin silver shoes that even reminded her of Cinderella. She was going to be all ready for her ball.

The problem was, they needed to be out the door quickly and I wanted them both to have a good, healthy dinner. Dances like that are usually loaded with cookie trays and juice ... but, I wasn't going to have any of that.

I wanted something packed with vegetables, protein and appeal. So I decided on one of our family favorites, tacos. I am in love with fish tacos, but also enjoy throwing in a little twist. I have been on a Greek flavor kick lately and wanted to put my own little Greek inspired spin on a classic favorite. The results were fabulous!

Heading into Walmart, I was looking to make my prep time minimal. With a box of Van de Kamp's fish tenders and a bag of Birds Eye sweet corn in a Steamfresh bag, I knew I could get dinner done in under a half hour. The #FishnVeggies made all the difference. I also grabbed all the fixings for some fresh tzatziki sauce, Greek flat bread, etc.

Tzatziki Sauce

I am over the moon for tzatziki sauce! Not only is it divine in this fish flat bread recipe, but I also use it as a dip or salad dressing.

Fish Dinner

Fresh Tzatziki Sauce

You Will Need:

  • 2 1/2 c. Greek yogurt
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 1 clove of garlic, pressed
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • salt & pepper to taste

Start by preparing the cucumbers. Cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and then slice them into chunks. Sprinkle with salt and set them in a colander for at least a 1/2 an hour to let the excess moisture drain out.

Add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender and puree till smooth. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight, before serving.

fish tenders

With the sauce prepared and in the refrigerator I had all day to make sure my daughter was primped and perfect for her big date. She had a long bath, did nails, hair and we got Dad's clothing ready for him as well.

#FishnVeggies

I was pretty proud of the colorful and delicious spread I had on our make-your-own dinner bar. My kids both love to design their own wraps and tacos. I put out some kalamata olives and plain black not knowing which the kids would prefer. My adventurous son couldn't fit enough inside his wrap.

But then again, over stuffing seems to run in the family. My creation required two hands and napkin, but was so worth it! I think my changing up the flavors in our fish taco meal I was able to create twice the reasons to have fish on the menu.

#FishnVeggies

Greek Inspired Fish Flat Bread

You Will Need:

  • Van de Kamp's fish tenders
  • Birds Eye sweet corn
  • 1 sml. head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
  • bagged lettuce
  • kalamata olives
  • Greek flat bread
  • 1 recipe of tzatziki sauce

I baked the fish tenders and steamed the corn as directed on the packages. I arranged my items in taco bar style so everyone could build their own and keep dinner simple.

If you are in need of more dinner inspiration, or if you love Food Network, like I do, catch easy video recipes from The Neely's on the Van de Kamp's website, or browse their Facebook page.

Van de Kamp's fish tenders

It was a great dinner and my husband and daughter were out the door and to the dance on time. I had very little to clean up so I could spend the rest of the evening enjoying time with my son. We caught a few of his  favorite Mighty Machine episodes. I try to make Mother Son date night special as well and he would rather focus on machinery than a silly 'ole dance anyway. But everyone needs a little one-on-one time with their parent.

Family Dinner

*Disclaimer - I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias®  and Pinnacle Foods Group #cbias #SocialFabric #FishnVeggies . All opinions and experiences are my own.
Andrea
Pin It

21 comments:

  1. That looks beyond delicious!! I love all the colors in your mix!! Send some my way next time you make these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made Tzatziki Sauce before - I never even considered it, now I'll have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love Tzatziki but haven't made it before. Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing!! And a perfect option for Lent. I'm going to pin this so I can make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! These look so good. I've never made Tzatziki sauce but I love it when we eat out. I'm going to have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you used red cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice sauce. Need to try it myself.
    Check my first article about online learning Africa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making anything with nonfat Greek yogurt, especially tzatziki!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great night and a delicious looking dinner! Andrea, do you make your own flat bread? I'm still looking for a good recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, I went that fast route and picked these up at Walmart. I do have a pita recipe I love (excuse the photos, it is an old post), http://adventuresinallthingsfood.blogspot.com/2010/06/dinner-anyone-its-greek-to-me.html

      But, I am also searching for the perfect flat bread recipe. I wish I had made these!

      Delete
  10. Mmm, that looks yummy!! :)

    and what a priceless photo!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cucumbers! So glad you have them in this recipe! It looks yummy!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this looks really yummy! I wonder if my girls would eat this. I may have to try this recipe out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We made fish tacos this week too and they were so good. I never thought about using lemons or a Greek pita type bread for the wrap. I bet that was so delicious! I have to try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks delicious! I am not a fan of tartar sauce, but that sauce sounds more like something I'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That actually looks and sounds delicious, not to mention healthy! What a beautiful picture of them together too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look soooo good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that looks delicious! Easy to make, I wonder if my kids would like this instead of the boring taco's I always make. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!