Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Lemon Bliss Bundt Cake Recipe


Yes, my lemon fixation continues. This Lemon Bliss Bundt Cake was the perfect thing to satisfy my sweet tooth without being too rich. Don't get me wrong, the cake is moist, dense and the real lemon glaze on the outside gives it the perfect tangy 'pop' of flavor. This one may look simple (it is so easy to make!) but it is anything but boring.


I still have a stack of lemon recipes taunting me on the table. The hardest part is definitely deciding which to make next. I am so over chocolate this pregnancy and am looking forward to our strawberries and rhubarb being ripe. For now I plan to work in a few more lemon treats and even some orange inspired sweets. Citrus always takes a backseat in our home once the weather turns warmer.


I might have mentioned a time or two that I didn't grow up enjoying cake. My Mom didn't bake them and my only introduction was either the boxed version, a microwave kit or a store-bought birthday cake. Plain, dry and slathered in super-sweet frosting, it wasn't something I ever looked forward to.

No, my Mom made pies... and pretty darn good ones. I remember telling folks that I just wasn't the cake type. Now that I have my own kitchen, the tables have turned. I still adore a good pie, but with the labor and time involved, I love whipping up a simple cake.

Bundt cakes seem to be a dying treat. I rarely hear or see people talking about them. Occasionally they pop up in recipe linky or on Pinterest, but they don't get as much press as a layer cake or decorative fondant work. The truth is, they often taste better and only take a few minutes in a mixer.

The glaze on this cake helps to keep it really moist inside. I hope you will give this humble Lemon Bliss Bundt Cake a chance to tantalize your taste buds this week. I discovered the Lemon Bliss cake on the King Arthur Flour site and changed the milk to buttermilk, added in more lemon to my glaze and just a few other touches to really satisfy my crazy craving.


Lemon Bliss Bundt Cake
inspired by King Arthur Flour.

You Will Need:
1 c. unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp. baking powder
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. buttermilk, at room temperature
2 lemons, finely zested and juice reserved
3/4 c.+ powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 10-cup bundt pan well.

Beat together the butter, sugar and salt for about 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl a few times to ensure all the butter and sugar are well mixed and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and scrape down the bowl between additions.

Sift together the baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Then add to the stand mixer alternatively with the buttermilk. Begin and end the additions with the flour. Mix until just incorporated, then stir in the lemon zest. You can add it to the mixer, but a lot of rind will get caught in the beaters.

Add the batter into the pan and gently even out with a spatula. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and the cake has started to pull away from the sides.

Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan before inverting onto a plate. When the cake comes out of the oven whisk together the reserved lemon juice and powdered sugar to create a glaze. With a pastry brush, brush the glaze onto the cake. Let it be absorbed by the cake and start another coat of glaze. Keep going until all the glaze has been used. Let the cake cool completely before serving, or before wrapping it tightly to serve later.

Enjoy!
Andrea
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I'm not much for lemon but do enjoy bundt cake from time to time. I'm sure my husband and toddler would love this! Thanks for sharing the recipe! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well doesn't this just look delish! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh gosh this looks delicious!
    I will have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!