Sunday, July 14, 2013

Churro Chex Mix - July Secret Recipe Club

Chex

I love chocolate.

I think my favorite Chex cereal mix is the muddy buddy mix with chocolate and powdered sugar. The perfect balance of sweet and crunchy. Unfortunately, since both my oldest children have PKU, they can't have the chocolate. So I haven't made muddy buddies in years.

For July I was assigned to the blog Cheese Curd in Paradise for my Secret Recipe Club assignment. Isn't the blog name cute? This is my first SRC post back since the baby was born and I am still trying to keep it low-key in the kitchen. With a newborn and two energetic kiddos in the house, everyday is full of the unexpected.

Well, Ashley had a recipe for a Churro Chex Mix. It was very similar to the muddy buddy recipe I love, but used cinnamon chips instead of chocolate. Immediately I went to check on the protein content for those little chips. I had my fingers crossed, and after crunching the numbers they were low enough to make work.

Secret Recipe Club

Ashley has a great blog loaded with delicious recipes to try and meal plan ideas. With everything from main dishes to sweet treats, there are recipes for everyone.

My kids love cinnamon and I knew this project was going to be an easy sell. Hmmm... Chex cereal with cinnamon and sugar? Covered in even more powder sugar? And the recipe quick and easy enough for my 5 & 3 year old to help with? - Well, folks... we have a winner!

Armed with my shopping list, this recipe only calls for 5 items, I headed off to the store. Our local Kroger didn't carry cinnamon chips. Store by store I struck out. Then I remembered that King Arthur Flour carries them. Yes, I paid a pretty penny + shipping for this little bag of cinnamon goodness.

Cinnamon Chips

...sigh...

I have to admit, it was worth it. In fact the kids not only loved the treat, but had blast helping out.


Measuring is simple, just combine, melt, toss and then...


Place the cereal and sugar mixture into a big bag, and ...


(give to an energetic child to...) shake vigorously!


Then you end up with a whole bag of sweet, crunchy goodness that is quite addictive - along with happy children.


Churro Chex Mix
from Cheese Curds in Paradise

You Will Need:

  • 10 c. Chex cereal
  • 3 c. cinnamon chips
  • 1/3 c. granulated sugar
  • 3/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
In a large bowl, measure out the cereal. Set aside. In a medium bowl whisk together the sugars and cinnamon. In a microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup, melt the cinnamon chips. Microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between and repeating till the mixture is melted and smooth.

Poor the melted chips over the cereal and toss till all the cereal is coated evenly. Then toss with half the sugar mixture.

Transfer to a large zip top bag (or two) and gently shake with the remaining sugar. Coat well. 

Enjoy!

Now, check out the other great recipes posted from group B in July's Secret Recipe Club reveal:



Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!