Sunday, August 11, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet - August Secret Recipe Club

Cast Iron Cookie Recipe

I can't believe August is here! My youngest son was born this Summer and then other events seemed to have been in fast forward. Now Summer is almost over and I am faced with sending my oldest child off to school. Kindergarten. It is enough to send this Mom reaching for a cookie, or chocolate. ...or a whole skillet full of chocolate chip cookie.

August also brings my Secret Recipe Club reveal. This month I was assigned to Secrets from the Cookie Princess and it couldn't have been better timing!

Secret Recipe Club

So who is the cookie princess? Well, Colleen began her blog back in 2010 when she was up to her ears in holiday baking, a whopping 163 dozen cookies! An avid, and self proclaimed "obsessed baker", her blog contains more than just cookie recipes. I still have plans to go back and make her apple fritter recipe this  Fall. But, I felt like a good cookie was exactly what I wanted right now.

Browsing through recipes, each month's Secret Recipe Club recipe selection jumps off the screen for me. This month was no exception. My love of cookies and cast iron cookware both came together in this Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet.


This recipe is just as simple as making a regular batch of chocolate chip cookies - possibly easier since you don't have to scoop or bake tray after tray of cookies.


Of course I added a few more chocolate chips, toasted walnuts, and cinnamon, but isn't that the beauty of a good cookie?


Once baked and carved into pieces, it reminded me of a slice of cookie pie. Yum! All you need to go with this bad boy is a tall glass of milk. It would also be a great cookie "cake" recipe to decorate for a special occasion. I always wondered how they came out so round and perfect.


I know, you are probably dying to carve yourself up a big slice of this cookie, right? Scroll down a little bit more for the recipe.


Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
adapted from Secrets from the Cookie Princess

You Will Need:

  • Unsalted butter for greasing the cast iron skillet
  • 2 c. AP flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. butter softened
  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 package of semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 c. of walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 12" cast iron skillet. I save the end of my stick butter for greasing down my cast iron pans. Leave a little on the paper and brush to coat.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.

In a stand mixer cream the butter and sugars. Add the egg and mix till it is fully incorporated. Then mix in the vanilla extract. Slowly add the dry ingredients and stir. With a large spoon, stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.

Pat this mixture down into the greased cast iron skillet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Let it cool before attempting to slice and serve. The cookie will firm up as it cools and hold its shape for you... if you have the patience.


Enjoy!

Now, be sure to check out the other great Secret Recipe Posts:

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!