Friday, October 4, 2013

What's in your Mayo/Aioli?


Have you every given more than a passing thought about your mayonnaise? Well, besides whether your jar is empty or full?

Food fascinates me, but I have to admit that I never thought much about my sandwich spread.

I was amazed to learn how simple it really is. I kept seeing it pop up on episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Places were making their own aioli for dipping, or homemade mayo for burgers. I thought, I already love making my own hamburger buns, so why not try mayo or a fancy schmancy aioli.


Aioli's are dressed up versions of their mayo kin, though many don't include eggs. Some do. But, aioli recipes do call for garlic and olive oil. They also often incorporate soaked bread to help with the emulsification process. Then throw in a few fragrant herbs and voila! You have an aioli.

It is no secret that I am always looking for new ways to use up my extra fresh eggs. So I made an aioli/mayo hybrid with the best of both worlds. I did use eggs - I have them, I might as well use them. I also used the bread soaked in vinegar so I didn't have to worry about achieving a thick, creamy spread.


I gave mayo a try before and it was a complete disaster. Sadly, it used a lot of olive oil so it was an expensive failed experiment. This time around I achieved success and learned that it really isn't that hard.

Last time I attempted to use a blender, now I swear by the food processor. Watching the oils and ingredients come together and then thicken up, well... it is magical.

Magical mayo.


I feel bad that it took me so long to try making aioli for myself. Does it taste different? Yes. Did I love it? You bet. There will be more of this in my future. Next time I even hope to get in some basil or maybe heat-less chili peppers.

Of course, there are warnings that come with eating raw eggs. I chose to try this recipe because I know where my eggs come from (my hens) and I collect them daily.


Simple Lemon Garlic Aioli
You Will Need:

  • 1 slice white bread, crust removed
  • 2 Tbsp. white vinegar 
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 lemon, zested
  • 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 1/2 c. olive oil
In a small bowl, tear the bread into smaller pieces and then pour the vinegar over it. Allow it to soak for 5 minutes.

Place ingredients in a food processor and process into a paste. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil as the food processor is running. The mixture will thicken and emulsify. Refrigerate till you are ready to serve it.

Enjoy.

So, now that you know what is in aioli, would you make it yourself?

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!