Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

*Disclaimer -  I received PotsandPans.com Rachael Ray Oven to Table Stoneware products to facilitate this review.  No monetary compensation was received and a positive review was not required.  As with all Adventures in All Things Food & Family reviews, all opinions and experiences are my own.



Growing up my Mom made the best rice pudding and bread pudding. Made with the leftover scraps of rice, breads or doughnuts, paired with a creamy baked custard, in my mind they are the ultimate comfort food. Served warm or cold, with cream or not, it still makes me swoon.

Just hand me a spoon as my knees buckle.

This time of year I am all about pumpkin. So, why not put a little pumpkin spin on an old favorite? This was a match made in heaven. And it all starts with a humble little loaf of pumpkin bread.


Yes, I realize most recipes called for regular old bread and pumpkin puree. The problem is I like a lot of pumpkin flavor and spices in my desserts. So, I wanted to use both. Call me greedy.

I did have about a quarter of a loaf of brioche, too. Thought that would go well in there. Any white bread is fine, French loaf, doughnut, etc. But, do try some leftover pumpkin bread in there if you have it.


The biggest difference between this and regular bread pudding is the addition of pumpkin puree and a bunch of flavorful spices. I like to use ginger, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. If you are feeling really wild, you could also spike the egg mixture with a splash of bourbon. Use it if you've got it, right?


Now, I love bread pudding so much I really don't like to share. That would make my husband pretty sad though, so I compromised by using these adorable Rachael Ray Bubble and Brown ramekins. They match my bigger casserole dishes and they were the perfect size for a personal bread pudding.

Usually I pour a little milk or cream over my bread pudding, but I stuffed these little dishes so full of pumpkin goodness, there just wasn't any room left!

The recipe is below, but also be sure to come back on Friday when I will have a giveaway up in my Holiday Progressive Dinner Post for some of the Rachael Ray Oven to Table Stoneware. You won't want to miss it.


Pumpkin Bread Pudding

You Will Need:

  • 1 1/2 c. whole milk
  • 3/4 c. canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp. cloves
  • 1/8 tsp. allspice
  • 2 tsp. Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste
  • 3 c. pumpkin bread, cubed
  • 2 c. white bread, cubed
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1/4 c. chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk together the first 9 ingredients (wet ingredients and spices) in a large bowl. Toss the white bread with the melted butter and then pour both white bread and pumpkin bread into the egg mixture. Gently fold and then spoon into ramekins. Sprinkle the top with walnuts.

Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the custard has set.

Dust with a little powdered sugar or pour on a little milk or cream right before serving.  Enjoy!


Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!