Sunday, December 15, 2013

Popcorn Brittle - December Secret Recipe Club


Are you a sweet or salty snacker?

This time of year, with the holidays coming up fast, I tend to crave some sweeter treats. I don't usually dress up our popcorn, but when I saw this recipe for Popcorn Brittle on Jen's Journey, I just couldn't resist.

Yes, it is that time of the month, time for my Secret Recipe Club reveal. Over the holidays half of the groups are revealing in December and the other half in January, but I will be back in February with a new blog reveal.

Secret Recipe Club

I had a lot of fun perusing Jennifer's blog. This month I was looking for something to enjoy for the holidays and this brittle recipe was perfect. I loved the base of honey, sugar and peanut butter so I decided to keep it simple. Her version also has melted chocolate, but I wanted to modify this for my kids, too. I made one simple recipe with peanut butter and almonds for my husband and I, and kept the other simple with Biscoff spread for the kids.


Just dissolve the sugar in some honey on the stove. Let it come up to a gentle simmer then turn off the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and some peanut butter or Biscoff.


Then introduce it to some freshly popped popcorn. 

Hello popcorn. How are you doing?

Mix well, add in the almonds and allow to cool completely on a baking sheet with wax paper. Feel free to chill it in the refrigerator if you want to eat it quickly.


Popcorn Brittle
adapted from Jen's Journey

You Will Need:
  • 10 c. popcorn
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter or Biscoff Spread
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 c. almonds *optional
Pop your popcorn. I suggest popping a little extra to munch on while working. I also needed a little extra to bribe my kids to let me finish making the recipe. Measure out 10 cups and set aside.

In a small saucepan heat the sugar and honey over low heat. Stir till all the sugar is dissolved and the honey mixture starts to bubble. Then turn off the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and peanut butter.

Mix with the popcorn and and almonds, then spread on a wax paper lined baking sheet to cool. Pop it in the fridge if you want to speed up the process. Store in an airtight container.

Enjoy!



Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!