Saturday, February 22, 2014

My New Lunchtime Favorite - Whole Wheat Sausage Calzones


Lunch is the hardest meal for me to decide on. Now matter how hard I try to meal plan, I gave up on lunch. There were just too many days we either had to go somewhere or I had leftovers to use up. So planning out our lunches was a waste of time.

This time of year I really enjoy something warm but my husband is not a huge fan of soup, and that is one of the few fast items I enjoy making. So, last week I made us fresh calzones with some leftover pizza dough.

It was a hit and my husband devoured every bite.


Filled with sweet  bell peppers, mushrooms, Italian sausage, cheese and marinara sauce and wrapped in whole wheat dough, it was the perfect lunch. Fork optional.


Since this isn't the same old lunch standby, I haven't gotten bored yet. Do sandwiches ever bore you, or is it just me?

I wrapped the savory filling up in the pizza dough, crimped over the edges and then gave each calzone a quick brush of egg wash before baking.


I baked them at 450 degrees for around 12 minutes, or until the dough is nice and golden brown. It will depend on the size of your calzone.


Mmm... I just love how the sauce and cheese get all warm and gooey. But, the calzone is even less messy than pizza.


Print Friendly and PDF
Easy Whole Wheat Calzones

You Will Need:
  • Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (made in the bread machine)
  • 1 1/2 c. water
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. yeast
  • 1/2 c. Italian sausage
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 c. mushrooms, sliced
  • 2/3 c. marinara sauce
  • 1/2 c. Mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1 egg + 1 tsp. water, whisked for an egg wash
  • cornmeal
According to your bread machine instructions add the ingredients and set the machine to the dough cycle.

When the dough cycle has finished, set the pizza dough aside to rest and begin browning the sausage. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove from the skillet and drain on a paper towel. Saute the mushrooms and bell pepper till tender then add the sausage back into the pan and add the marinara sauce. Simmer the mixture on low to reduce the liquid by half.

Divide the dough into 4 balls and roll them out one at a time in a circle. Divide the filling between the four calzones, putting the mixture on half of the dough. Top with cheese and fold over the other half. Crimp the edges and place on a non-stick mat dusted with a little cornmeal. Brush the top of each calzone with egg wash.

Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until the crust has turned golden brown.

Enjoy!
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!