Sunday, March 16, 2014

Cinnamon Almond Coconut Granola - March Secret Recipe Club Recipe


Does anyone else feel a little dazed when they buy a box of granola these days?

"Settling" (during shipping) can be very unsettling when I find the box less than half full. Then there is the price. I always cringe when I start to think about what it would cost me to make at home. Granola is one of those things.

My husband is actually the big granola fan in the house, but I will eat it when its available. He likes to top his yogurt with a little granola in the morning. I, in contrast, am a straight up by the handfull or in a bowl of milk sort of gal. But, I love my granola packed with dried fruit and nuts.

So when I saw Rebekah's Cinnamon Almond Coconut Granola, from her blog Family, Food and Fun. I knew I had to make it for March's Secret Recipe Club.

Secret Recipe Club

It was a great fit this month being assigned to make something off of Rebekah's blog. With 5 kids, I knew that her recipes would have to be good. Back in December she was assigned to my blog and chose to make my Triangle Delights. There were lots of sweet recipes on her site, and some savory main dishes, too... but the granola kept calling to me. I have been meaning to make some to go with my homemade yogurt, but just keep putting it off.

Well, no longer. And I am glad I didn't find anymore excuses.


The ingredients were already waiting in my pantry. Since planting has started on the farm I am already getting in a Spring mood and am just itching to start some deep cleaning. The first stop is going to be my pantry.

Rebekah's original recipe called for almonds and coconut, but she suggested adding more goodies in if the mood struck. I snuck in some craisins and dried pineapple to clear out my shelf. Since the granola is tossed in syrup and then baked, it is a great chance to use any overly dried out fruit. My craisins were on their last legs but plumped up perfectly in this recipe.


The syrup? It was made from coconut oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla. I had just enough coconut oil that needed to be used and I was delighted with the light flavor it imparted.


After a brief simmer, everything gets tossed to coat and then spread out evenly on two baking sheets.

Really, does it get much easier than this? I think it might have taken longer to drive to the store for granola than to just make it myself.


I baked mine for about 30 minutes at 300 degrees. Then I had to stop myself from devoring it before it cooled completely. Even my husband grabbed some handfuls and declared it a success.

So if you have been putting off making your own granola, what's stopping you? This recipe is a great place to start.


Cinnamon Almond Coconut Granola
recipe from Family, Food and Fun

You Will Need:
8 cups old fashioned oats
1 c. unsweetened coconut
1 c. slivered almonds
1/2 c. dried diced pineapple
1/2 c. craisins
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. honey
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, dried fruit and almonds.

In a small saucepan, combine the coconut oil, brown sugar, water, honey and cinnamon over medium heat. Bring it up to a boil and then take the syrup off the heat. Whisk in the vanilla bean paste and salt. Pour this warm mixture over the oat mix and stir and coat evenly.

Distribute between two large baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake for 10 minutes then rotate the trays and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes. You want the nuts and oats to be slightly toasted and crisp.

Enjoy!




Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!