Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Simply Roasted Chicken, New Potatoes and Aspargus

I received pans and compensation from Handi-Foil to facilitate my review and recipe. All opinions and experiences are my own.



I am always looking for a simpler way to get dinner on the table. Something that doesn't require a lot of pans and uses all real and simple ingredients. That is where this Simply Roasted Chicken, New Potatoes & Asparagus dinner came from.

I look forward to Asparagus every year, so I grabbed several bunches on our last trip to the grocery store. Roasted like this with some olive oil, sea salt and a little lemon zest to finish, it is delightful.

The chicken and bacon idea came from the fact I wanted to roast this entire dinner in my oven, together, but all I had on hand was boneless, skinless chicken breasts. On their own, those would have turned out so dry. I didn't want to bread them or create a sauce, so I let the uncured bacon help to baste it. The addition of a little lemon kept everything simple and fresh.


I grabbed a 2-pack of handi-foil roaster pans. One I used with my new potatoes and chicken, and the other I used with the asparagus. It was the easiest dinner to create and I will be making it again.


Start by washing your new potatoes. My kids love these! I usually grab the assorted bags of red and white potatoes for color. They cook up quickly and are so tender.


I drizzled my potatoes with a little olive oil and then sprinkled them with salt and pepper. I put them in to roast first.


Then I snapped the woody stalks off my asparagus. Hold the stalk loosely in both hands, one hand on each end and bend them slighlty in the middle. They will break at the perfect spot and you will be left with the tender part of the asparagus. Discard or compost the ends.


Once my potaotes were fork tender, I added the chicken and bacon right on top. I put a lemon slice on each, spread some thin slices of yellow onion around the pan and drizzled everything with a little more olive oil, salt and pepper.

Yeah, back into the oven.


The asparagus, meanwhile, I prepped with some olive oil and coarse salt and pepper. It went right on the rack underneath the chicken and potatoes for the final 10 minutes, or until it is crispy and fragrant.


Be sure to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of your chicken. The bacon will even start to crisp up along the edges when it is done as well.

The added bonus is the potatoes will soak up all the pan juices from the chicken, bacon and olive oil. Natural can be even tastier than a heavy cream sauce, don't you agree?


Simply Roasted Chicken, New Potatoes and Asparagus
You Will Need:
  • 1 lb. new potatoes
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 - 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 pkg. uncured bacon (look for nitrite and nitrate free)
  • 1 lemon, sliced in half (half thinly sliced and the other half zested)
  • 1 bunch of asparagus
Start by preheating the oven to 475 degrees.

Wash and poke the new potaotes. In a  Handi-Foil roasting pan drizzle and toss the new potatoes in olive oil to coat, then liberally season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 - 20 minutes until just fork tender, not soft.

Then add the chicken breasts to the top, season with salt and pepper. Cut bacon slices in half and cover the top of the chicken breasts with sliced bacon. Top each breast with a slice of lemon and then drizzle each lightly with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, but depending on the size of your chicken peices you will need to check with a digital thermometer at around 15 minutes. Cook until the internal temperature of your chicken reaches 180 degrees.

Meanwhile, break off the woody part of your asparagus and toss in olive oil. Place in the other Handi-Foil roasting pan and sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly cracked pepper. Place below the chicken to bake for the final 10 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh lemon zest before serving.

Now, wasn't that easy! And cleanup is even easier. Just rinse and recyle your pans, or put the lids on to quickly and easily store your leftovers.

Have you ever used Handi-Foil?

Connect with Eco-Foil on Facebook or check out the Handi-Foil website to browse their entire collection of pans.

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!