Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Create you own Vietnamese Egg Rolls


Am I the only one who gets a hankering for take-out at the least opportune moments?

Like when the kids are not fit to go out to even pick up take-out? Or when you have already eaten out recently? Or the yoga pants and hair tie are just a little too comfy?

Okay, there are some days when I just don't want to leave the house. I'm an adult so I don't have to. Luckily I can make some yummy food so I won't even miss the tiny packets of dipping sauce  and chinese food containers.

I love making my own gyoza, so why not a Vietnamese Spring Roll?


Filled with bean sprouts, cabbage, rice noodles and pork, these are fast and easy to make. You can either grab a package of egg roll wrappers at the grocery store, or make your own with this won ton wrapper recipe. Just cut them larger than you would for gyoza (pot stickers).

I like mine to be mostly vegetable, with just a little meat for added flavor, but you can change around the ratios to create your own perfect Egg Roll.


These Egg Rolls are fried... but I have made a baked Egg Roll in the past that only contained vegetables. Both are good, but slightly different. I think the ones that contain meat are a little heartier.

And as for the term Egg Roll? Well, like many Americans I use it loosely. Usually Egg Rolls contain meat and Spring Rolls do not... and the wrapper is another difference. I usually call a it a Spring Roll when it is wrapped in a rice paper wrapper. No matter what you want to call these, I think they were delicious and had to share.



Wrapping is easy. Think like a envelope.

I start by laying my wrapper down like a diamond with a thin strip of filling down the middle. Then I fold up the bottom corner, tuck in the two sides and roll. Just try to keep them evenly thin and long so they will cook easily. A short, fat roll will take longer to cook in the middle.

Seal with egg yolk and fry till golden brown. Dip in a sweet chili sauce, eat and repeat till all your Egg Rolls are gone.


Vietnamese Egg Rolls
You will need:

  • 4 oz. thin rice noodles, broken
  • 1 lb. ground pork
  • 1/2 c. shredded carrot
  • 1/2 c. yellow onion, diced
  • 1/2 c. cabbage, shredded thing
  • 1/2 c. bean sprouts
  • 1/4 c. green onions, green part sliced thin
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
  • 1 pkg. pre-made egg roll wrappers
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 3 qts. canola oil for frying
  • sweet chili sauce for dipping
Start by soaking the rice noodles according to the package directions. Drain well and set aside.

In a large bowl combine the ground pork, vegetables, salt, pepper and fish sauce. Mix well. 

Start heating the oil to 325 degrees. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Start assembling the egg rolls by taking one wrapper in front of you, with one corner pointed towards you. Add a heaping tablespoon of filling and brush the edges of the wrapper with beaten egg. Fold up the corner closest to you, then fold in the sides like an envelope and tightly roll to close. Repeat the process until all the rolls are filled and ready to fry.

Add a few egg rolls to the pan at a time. Cook on each side for about 4-5 minutes or until the egg roll is golden brown. Transfer to a baking sheet to stay warm and continue cooking the rest of the way. 

Serve warm with sweet chili sauce for dipping. 

Enjoy!



Have you ever made your own Egg Rolls? What is stopping you?
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!