Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Passing Down the Growing Gene


I like to say that gardening is in my blood. My grandpa was a gardener, my Mom and her siblings all had the urge to grow things, and now I have the pleasure of passing it down to my kids.

The truth is, they just like to play in the dirt... but at least it is a start.

Today we finally got (most of) our plants in the ground. The big starts we purchased are planted and we just have a few trays of seedlings to transplant tomorrow. Those can wait a little while longer. The lettuce blends can get a little bigger before venturing forth from the greenhouse and out into the ground.

The best part of gardening for me isn't the extra vegetables in our salad or on our dinner plates. No, it is the sense of pride we all have in growing our own food.

My husband is a farmer and doesn't quite understand my need for a garden. Yes, he grows more than enough vegetables for all of us. The big difference is we didn't plant those. My kids helped me plant all the seeds. We watered the trays of dirt every morning as we walked to the bus stop. My kids counted and reported to me every single new sprout that showed up in the past day. And my kids will be helping me pick and prepare those veggies.

Zucchini, cucumbers, eggplant, tomatoes, lettuce, chard, tomatillos and bok choy.

No, it isn't about the vegetables. It is all about the hard work you put into that one ripe tomato.

For that reason I am proud to be raising two little budding gardeners. I am working hard to pass down the growing gene for future generations.

Do you have a garden this year?

  Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!