Monday, May 26, 2014

Strawberry Crepes - I May Just Have The Hang of This!


Strawberry season has definately hit its peak here. You might have noticed that I have started to branch out into other food groups now.

I may just have another one or two recipes left in me before all the berries are gone. This is one I just had to share. Crepes have become our thing this year.


Last year our go-to easy meal was popover pancakes. Just add everything to the blender, whirl it up and pour into muffin pans, bake and you have beautiful little pancake bowls to fill with freshly sliced strawberries and topped with whipped cream.

I actually think crepes are easier. I just had to get over my fear of the thin crepe. I always assumed they were complicated and delicate. Last time I tried them I even used a mix. This method is even better... and still utilizes a blender.

I think having a good pan helps, but is not crucial. I had been drooling over the mineral b crepe pans and was not disappointed once it arrived. It is thin, non-stick iron that comes seasoned with a beeswax finish. The more I use it, the better it is supposed to get.

The crucial element here is time. The batter needs time, at least an hour, to rest before you use it. I like the idea of prepping it before bed and then being able to surprise my family with breakfast on Sunday morning.


Cooking the crepe may seem intimadating, but the crepes are amazingly durable. Start off by making sure you pan is evenly heated and that you don't add too much batter. You want a nice thin crepe.

You can loosen the edges with your spatula and check to see if it has enough color. Then slide the spatuala under... don't hesitate... and flip it over back into the pan. Practice makes perfect.


Don't worry if the edges seem a little dry. They will soften up as your stack sits and steams.


For this batch there was only one unfortunate flippin' incident...

It tasted just fine, and the baby was thrilled to have it in both chubby fists.


Easy Crepe Batter

You Will Need:

  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and at room temperature
  • 2 c. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour

Add all the ingredients in the order listed to your blender. Cover and blend your batter till all the visible lumps are gone. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight before using.

Heat an 8" crepe pan or skillet and give it a quick spritz with non-stick cooking spray. Add 1/4 cup of crepe batter to the center of the pan and with one hand, roll and turn the pan just slightly to get the batter to coat the entire pan surface. This takes a little practice, but once you have it down, you will be a crepe master! Cook until the bottom has browned and the top surface is dry. With a spatula, carefully lift up the corners of the crepe and flip to cook the other side. When the other side has browned, place on a plate and continue making crepes until all the batter has been used. As the crepes sit and steam each other, the edges will soften up. I don't put anything between my crepes, but you could slip in a little wax paper if you want.

Fill the crepes with any number of seasonal sweet treats or savory fillings. Here are a few of our sweet favorites:

  • sliced strawberries
  • cinnamon sprinkled mixed berries
  • peanut butter
  • hazelnut spread
  • whipped cream
  • sliced bananas
  • toasted coconut


Enjoy!
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!