Sunday, June 15, 2014

Zeppole - Secret Recipe Club #Recipe


Yes, last week I posted my Secret Recipe Club post for June, but this week I am highlighting a recipe to make up for a blogger who was left off from last week.

She is a fabulous cook and baker and someone I know from the weekly recipe round-up, Friday Frenzy. I was excited to make something from Danielle's blog, Mostly Food and Crafts. I hope after reading my post you will take a moment to visit her blog and show her some comment luv.

You will find a whole range of great posts on Danielle's blog. From great recipes like her Cuban Bread from the bread machine to her Meatballs with Couscous and Feta, you will find something sure to fit your family's tastes. And she also posts crafts and other kid-friendly projects (both food and craft related).

Secret Recipe Club 

Okay, each month I face the tough decision of choosing one recipe to write about from a fellow foodie's blog, it can take me days and multiple visits to find just the right item. Or, as the case this time, something just jumps off the screen at me. These little Zeppole were irresistible to me.

Hello Zeppole, where have you been all my life?

I've heard of Zeppole before and was curious to try them for myself. The dough reminds me of a cream puff shell... but also with one foot in fried donut land. A fabulous little Italian treat that I made with my kids and was pleasantly easty to create. These would be fabulous with a berry dipping sauce, but I went with the same cinnamon sugar that Danielle's daughter used for her post.

Simplicity works well here.


While I was whipping up this batch of zeppole I was struck by how similar the dough was to the cream puff shells. Hmmm.... Of course, instead of baking them you fry the batter. It still had the eggy-custardy good flavor.


Donuts fry fast and this batter goes together really quick as well, so get everything out and assembled before you start. I like to dip my donuts while the oil is still warm so they will pick up more of the cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar goodness...

So have it ready to go.


Start by putting your butter, 3 tablespoons sugar, water and salt in a little saucepan. Let it melt and then bring it up to a gentle boil. Take it off the heat and stir in the flour.


Turn the heat back on and let the dough come together to form a ball. It will come away from the edges and become quite dense.


Then add it to your stand mixer and beat in each egg. The dough should be nice and creamy now.


I just splurged on a new candy thermometer and this was the perfect chance to break it in. The oil needs to come up 2" from the bottom. Once the oil reaches 375 degrees, drop a tablespoon of batter in the hot oil. I used a cookie scoop for uniformity.

Let them cook till they are golden brown and have puffed up almost twice their size. You want to make sure the centers are cooked through. Just wait and see how big they get! I was surprised.

Then roll them in your cinnamon mixture and allow them to cool slightly before diving in. Danielle suggested eating these while they were still warm... I actually liked them warm, but then went back and loved them cold as well. They were still delicate and delicious.


Zeppole 
recipe originally from Giada de Laurentiis through Mostly Food & Craft

You Will Need:
  • 1/2 c. sugar, + 3 Tbsp.
  • 2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 c. AP flour
  • 4 large eggs
  • canola oil for frying (enough to cover 2" deep in your pan)
Whisk together the 1/2 c. sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg topping in a bowl. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat the butter, salt, water and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Bring it just up to a boil, then remove it from the heat and whisk in the flour. Return it to medium heat and cook the dough till it forms a ball and comes away from the side of the pan. Put the dough in a stand mixer and beat in the eggs, one at a time.

Heat your oil for frying to 375 degrees. Drop batter by the tablespoon into hot oil and cook till zeppole are golden brown and have puffed up to twice their size. Remove from the oil and roll in the topping mixture while still warm. Cool slightly and dig in.

Enjoy!


Thanks for stopping by. Here are more delectible recipes from the talented folks with the Secret Recipe Club...



Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!