Sunday, August 31, 2014

Basil Lemon Fettuccine Dressed in a Lemon Artichoke Sauce - September Secret Recipe Club #Recipe


There is something almost magical about fresh pasta.

Pasta is surprisingly simple to make at home, but is nothing like it's shelf stable counter part. Fresh pasta is flavorful, filling and has a bite to it that is memorable. In my house, freshly made noodles are a simple way to create a little love in a usually mundane food.

Though I have to say, this pasta... and sauce, are anything but average.

I found Cooking on the Ranch through The Secret Recipe Club and was thrilled to get to know  Lea Ann a little better through her blog as my September assignment. She cooks from her ranch, I cook from our farm, and it was a great match in my eyes. I have to admit that I found several shrimp recipes on her blog, including her Shrimp in Walnut Pesto Cream Sauce, I am dying to make. My husband is not the biggest fan of shrimp though, so I save those recipes for when he is away. Instead I settled on a lovely sounding pasta dish that would allow me to play around with herb flavored pastas.



Lea Ann is a Denver area food blogger with a flare for food that reflects the flavors of the West. I love that her recipe section includes both lamb and salmon recipes which are favorites of ours here in Oregon.

Now, her recipe was actually promoting a specific brand of noodles, but not having access to those, it was simple enough to make up my own and then used her pasta sauce recipe to dress them.



The resulting dish was both simple and delicious! My husband said he would be happy to repeat this dinner.



Despite pasta being a "heavier" dish, this is the perfect way to end Summer and look forward to Fall. The ingredients are simple and fresh, but it was filling enough to not leave us wanting after the meal.



Flavoring the pasta was simple enough. I took the more tender leaves from my basil plants and added them to the food processor along with the eggs. The blades pulsed them up finely, but they were still noticeable in the noodles. 



Seems like every few months my husband and I discuss buying an electric pasta roller, but my little hand crank roller does such a good job I'm just not convinced I need anything more. With care, this press will probably outlast me. I keep a pastry brush in the box to brush it clean after each use.



Aren't these pretty fettuccine noodles?



The sauce is a one pot affair with a little heat and a little time. It was perfect though.

So from Lea Ann's ranch, to my farm and now you, here is the recipe to make this lovely dinner for yourself.



Basil Lemon Fettuccine with Lemon Artichoke Sauce
from Cooking on the Ranch

You Will Need:
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 c. flour + more for dusting pasta
  • 1/4 c. loose basil leaves, stems discarded
  • 1/2 lemon zested
  • 1-2 Tbsp. water
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, whole
  • 1- 8 oz. can artichoke hearts
  • 2 lemons, juiced
  • 1 c. dry white wine
  • 1/2 c. chicken stock
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 c. cream
  • Italian parsley, chopped to garnish the top

Start by making the pasta. In a food processor (or you can use the flour well and fork method) pulse up your flour, egg, basil and lemon zest. It will resemble loose sand. Drizzle in a tablespoon of water, just so the pasta comes together. It should be slightly dry, but not crumble. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. Roll out into fettuccine noodles, toss with a little flour to prevent sticking and hang to dry or use immediately.

Start a large stock pot boiling for the pasta.

In a saute pan, sweat down onion slices, whole garlic cloves and artichoke slices in olive oil over medium low heat. Season with a little salt and let them start to turn light tan. Do not let them burn. Deglaze the pan with 1/2 c. wine.

Once the wine has evaporated, add the remaining wine, chicken stock,lemon juice and cream. Reduce to a simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Season to taste.

Boil the pasta till aldente. Remove the garlic cloves from the saute pan and add the pasta, tossing to coat. Add pasta water to achieve the preferred consistency. Garnish with Italian parsley. 

Enjoy! 


Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!