Monday, March 9, 2015

Creating Labels with Sketch Pens - March Silhouette Challenge


Last week I shared my recipe for this luxurious Green Tea Sugar Scrub. Today I want to share how to use your Silhouette and Sketch Pens to create an easy label. You will find even more inspirational posts for this theme at the bottom of this post. Be sure to check them all out.

This month's Silhouette Challenge theme is Word Art/Typography and the added challenge was for the Sketch Pens, which I already love!  Last year I created an inspirational Ballerina drawing with sketch pens for my daughter. She loved it! That was my first attempt with the pens and this time around I was more confident in how they work.

To make my labels I used Silhouette printable white sticker paper and the set of 24 sketch pens.

I actually first tired using the sketch pens on silver foil to make my labels, but the ink didn't stick to the slick surface. Sketch pens work very well on regular paper or a more porous surface.

Since I used the Silhouette brand sketch pens, I didn't need any special holders. All you need to do is take out the cutting blade, and these pens will slip right in.


When using sketch pens, be sure to get them started on scratch paper before trying to print out your work. I found one or two pens that needed to get the ink flowing or had a bubble in them. So try them out before slipping them into your Silhouette machine.

 I started with my wording. I wanted two different colors, the main name in black and the other script in green. This means when I set up my project, I put the words in different layers.

Why layers? Well, you will be working with one color at a time and afterwards I still wanted my cut lines available. This means I used 3 layers and could send each layer to the machine one at a time, changing out the pens or blade as needed.

The red highlighted words show where I planned to use my green sketch pen.


After sketching out the lettering then I turned off those layers and selected the outer cut layer. I inserted my blade back in the machine and selected the Silhouette Printable White Sticker Paper for blade depth suggestions.


I love using the sketch pens on projects like this because I have had numerous headaches with print to cut and registration marks. Sometimes it is fun to have another option.

You can also use non Silhouette brand pens in the Silhouette machine, I just ordered a set of pen holders so I can explore that option. The possibilities really are endless!

Want the recipe to make your own Green Tea Sugar Scrub? It is even easier than making the labels. And weren't those easy? Check out my Green Tea Sugar Scrub post.


But it is even better with the fun Sketch Pen label . I think this make a great Mother's Day gift. Or what about a fun green treat for St. Patrick's Day?

Want to Check Out More Silhouette Projects?

My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so peruse the projects below for a wealth of Silhouette inspiration!

St. Patrick's Day Gift Tag with {FREE Cut File}The Fine PrintMr. and Mrs. Word ArtHe is Risen Easter Silhouette ArtDIY "Make Pretty Things" Graphic TeeBride & Groom Baseball ShirtsUsing Sketch Pens (and Markers!) For BeginnersHeart Shaped Vinyl Word ArtStar Wars Light Switch - Silhouette ChallengePallet Wood Roman Numeral Anniversary Signhow to cut LARGE Vinyl DecalsCreating Labels with Sketch Pens - March Silhouette ChallengeAin't No Party Like A Gatsby Party T-ShirtDIY Faux Enamel TagsHarry Potter Word ArtWhere the Wild Things Are Pallet Sign"At Last" Framed Vinyl Word ArtLucky Pallet SignSt. Patrick's Day Etched Glass Jar GiftThe Fault In Our Stars Inspired Shirt - Okay? Okay.Silhouette Craft Projects: Framed Irish ProverbSketch out an Inspiring Quote
1. My Paper Craze // 2. The Stamp Doc // 3. Peanut Life Adventures // 4. Creative Ramblings // 5. Pitter and Glink // 6. The Thinking Closet // 7. Single Yet Married Mom // 8. unOriginalMom // 9. Sisters, What! // 10. Where The Smiles Have Been // 11. From Whine to Whine // 12. Adventures in All Things Food // 13. Practically Functional // 14. Patina Paradise // 15. Please Excuse My Craftermath... // 16. Weekend Craft // 17. Two Purple Couches // 18. Ribbons & Glue // 19. TitiCrafty // 20. Simply Kelly Designs // 21. Confessions of an Overworked Mom // 22. Get Silvered
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!