Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Vanilla Bean Granola with DOVE® Fruit Cranberries

 This DOVE® Fruit inspired recipe shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #LoveDoveFruits #CollectiveBias


My husband is not a huge breakfast eater. Well, I take that back... he usually finds something to eat along the way. Every morning he lingers in our kitchen long enough to fill up his travel mug with coffee and then he is out the door for a long day on the farm.

Without fail every week I still ask him if he wants anything for breakfasts. Occasionally he will request granola. 

Now, since he rarely requests anything on our weekly shopping trips, I am inclined to say yes. But, do you know how easy it is to make your own granola? Do you know how good it tastes when you find your own perfect combination?


Of course, it wouldn't be perfect without DOVE®, would it?


I love my granola with nuts, a variety of nuts. Pecans and almonds are my first choices. They are just so good lightly toasted. Then I like to add pumpkin seeds and I even threw in some chia seeds for good measure.

But what I really enjoy in my granola is dried fruit.

So when I saw the DOVE® Fruit in my local Walmart, the wheels started turning in my mind. What if I combined the fruit I love with the dark chocolate my husband and I both enjoy into our homemade granola?


Magic! Pure magic, I'm telling you.

If you haven't noticed one of these displays in your local Walmart, keep an eye out and grab a few bags of DOVE® Fruit. They are available in cranberry, cherry and blueberry. I picked up a bag of each for my own snacking enjoyment.

You can download a coupon to save on your next DOVE® Fruit pouch purchase. Now, isn't that sweet?


But, I was also really excited to throw some in my homemade granola. It had excellent breakfast, dessert and snacking possibilities!

Here is my cast of characters for granola, now you can put more in or less, but don't forget the easy vanilla bean paste so you don't have to sit and scrape vanilla bean pods.



Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. The DOVE® Fruit cranberries will go in last. We wouldn't want to mess up that beautiful dark chocolate coating.


Then combine all the wet ingredients, except the vanilla bean paste in a small saucepan. Bring it up to a simmer then turn off the heat. Stir in the vanilla bean paste and the salt. Pour over the oats and nuts and mix to coat evenly.


Then spread out the wet granola mixture on an old baking dish. 

Why old? Well, it can stick a little. If you are extra clever you could line your baking tray with a non-stick mat or parchment paper. But, that is why I keep this trusty, well-used baking tray.


Vanilla Bean Granola with DOVE® Fruit Chocolate Cranberries

You Will Need:

  • 4 c. old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 c. raw almonds, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 c. raw pecans, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 c. raw pumpkin seeds
  • 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1/2 c. coconut oil
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 2 tsp. vanilla bean past
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • DOVE® Fruit Cranberries
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts and seeds. 

In a small saucepan whisk together the coconut oil, brown sugar, water and honey over medium heat. Bring it up to a simmer and then take off the heat. Whisk in the vanilla bean paste and salt and pour over the dry mixture.

Spread onto a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes, then stir and bake for another 12 minutes or until the nuts and oats are lightly toasted.

Let cool. Then brake up any granola chunks. Toss in as many DOVE® Fruit cranberries (as your heart desires) and store in a air tight container.



So, how do I like my granola? In the morning it is great mixed into my favorite yogurt or just with some milk. I also love to snack on it in the afternoon. For an added treat, spoon some granola over your favorite frozen yogurt or ice cream.

Yum! 

For more great ideas for enjoying Dove, check out the DOVE® Fruit social hub.


Now, how would you enjoy DOVE® Fruit?

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!