Sunday, October 4, 2015

Green Chicken Enchiladas - October Secret Recipe Club



Fall has started to creep into our little town. The leaves have started to change, fall and leave a delicious crunch under our feet. Today we took full advantage of the cooler weather for a family walk.

After everything that happened in our small town, Roseburg, OR this past week, I thought a little extra family time was called for. It has been amazing to see our area really come together with fundraisers, blood drives, and candlelight vigils. It will be a long road ahead for healing... or to feel completely safe again. But, I am still happy to raise my children here.

Of course, my favorite contribution to our family quality time is our family meal. for my October Secret Recipe Club selection, I found and chose the Green Enchiladas from Leslie's blog, La Cocina De Leslie.


Oh, boy! being assigned to Leslie's blog was quite a treat. Sadly, there are not as many peppers available in the fields right now, but I have so many of her recipes I want to go back and try next season. Next up I will be making her Swiss Chard Enchiladas... really! I have never thought to use Swiss Chard that way... but I have a never-ending in a neighboring field. Mexican cuisine is not something I have had many chances to make, but I always enjoy trying.

I hate to gush, but my selection this month is one you have to try! This Secret Recipe Club selection is going to be on heavy rotation this fall/winter. I had a green enchilada recipe in my box before, but this one knocked it out of the park. It had less cheese, but much more flavor with the homemade sauce. It is also a great dish to make and share with friends in need of a meal.

Since going back to work, I have needed to meal plan better and making up a few trays of these Green Enchiladas was perfect for helping to stock my freezer! I now have 2 extra pans settled in next to a few kinds of soup, freezer mac and cheese as well as an eggplant and pasta bake.


To make this meal go even faster, I grabbed a rotisserie chicken to shred. I love simple tricks to make meal assembly go faster. No, if you want to make everything from scratch, you can find recipes for corn tortillas and all sorts of other great dishes on Leslie's blog. Next time I want to try her recipe for red chicken enchiladas.



After creating the sauce, I warmed up the tortillas, dipped them in the excess sauce and layed them out for assembly.


This recipe called for Mexican crema or sour cream... and since I had sour cream, I went with that. I did try using Queso Fresco inside the tortillas though and it was fabulous! I don't think I will go back to boring old Monte Jack again.


Like I said, I was able to create 3 pans of enchiladas, one we devoured right away and the others I froze for future weeknight meals. I topped mine with more cheese, sauce, and olives. For serving, I garnished them with thinly sliced green onions.

The olives and green onions were my own addition. That is just how my family of 5 rolls. Feel free to add your own flare at the end. It's your dish, right?

They were gobbled up the first night. No leftovers. Is there a much better compliment than that? And luckily, since I have another 2 pans in the freezer, we have more Green Chicken Enchiladas in our near future. Many thanks to Leslie for her recipe!


Green Chicken Enchiladas
recipe from La Cocina De Leslie

You Will Need:
  • 1 lb. shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
  • 3 Tbsp. onion, finely chopped
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 2 Poblano peppers
  • 1 lb. tomatillos, husks removed
  • 1/2  medium yellow onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 sprig cilantro *optional
  • 3 c. chicken broth
  • 1 doz. corn tortillas
  • Queso Fresco
  • Montey Jack cheese
  • sliced black olives *optional
  • sliced green onions for garnish

In a bowl, combine the chicken, sour cream and 3 tablespoon onion. Toss with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.

In a large skillet, heat the tomatillos. They should begin to soften and char slightly. Transfer to a blender or food processor.  Then in the same pan, char the poblanos, 1/2 an onion and garlic. When the pepper is blackened on all sides, let it sweat in a covered bowl and remove the skin and seeds.  Add all this to the blender along with the chicken broth and optional cilantro. Pulse up till smooth and pourable. 

Cover the bottom of a 9"x13" pan with 1/3 cup of the sauce. Then get everything layed out to assemble the enchiladas. Start by warming a tortilla in a small skillet. Dip the warmed tortilla in sauce, then top with a scoop of the chicken mixture and a generous amount of Queso Fresco.  Roll up tightly and place the seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.

Top with more sauce, Montey Jack cheese, and sliced black olives... if you feel so inclined.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes. Just before serving I like to garnish with fresh green onions.

Enjoy!




Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!