Friday, April 2, 2010

Egg-sational News!



It is no secret that I have been wanting chickens. But, after a conversation the other day with my DH, I was pretty sure it was not going to happen anytime soon. Really, I didn't blame him. He has been a real trooper doing all the home repairs, painting and cleaning as I watch the kiddos. I have tried to go and help out, but generally end up just chasing down the toddler or pacifying the baby. So, I would hate to add one more thing to his ever-growing-honey-do list. Luckily, I didn't have to.

Tonight he called wanting to go and pick out chicks. Yippee! I guess some friends of ours were getting theirs and we were going to go, too. We all piled into the car and picked out 6 adorable little additions to the family. 3 Barred Rock & 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes. All medium sized pullets for egg laying. For now they are comfortably settled in my old 100 gal tank.
My son is mesmerized... he wants to name them all after himself. I guess that would be easy to remember. I am already thinking what I will do with all those glorious eggs! Now we just have to decide on a coop design. They will have free run of the side pen that used to hold a few lambs for the previous tenants, but still need a coop for safety at night. Lucky little birdies!
I just need to psych myself up for culling. I know there are bound to be a few roosters in there, and I only need one. I might need to reread the Barbara Kingsolver book when she talks about harvesting the turkeys. I might need some advice. I would never ask my DH to do anything I am not willing to do myself. But, for now I will just focus on those glorious eggs!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Of course today is free chick day at Coastal!! :) Just in case you thought you needed some more.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!