Sunday, June 6, 2010

Strawberries Everywhere!


We love strawberries around here and for the next couple of weeks you will see several posts along this theme. I just can't help it. They are now in season and we try to take advantage of the local berries. They are hands down the best. Here is my evenings adventure into a large flat of berries.

So, I am a tool girl... I love having specialized kitchen gadgets for all my jobs. Above is pictured two slightly different stem tools. They make quick and easy work of a large flat of berries with very little of the flesh lost.


I wanted to keep everything simple. My berries were very ripe and fading fast. I am not ready to can jam yet, so I decided to make some fruit leather. My son can't get enough of it. I pureed it up in our blender with a touch of lemon juice and a bit of sugar. I would have used honey, but decided against it because my daughter is still pretty young. Our pediatrician advised against honey for babies due to possible botulism contamination. So, plain old sugar it was. Not much... just enough.


Spread it out in our dehydrator and off it went for 8 hours. I hope to make another batch tomorrow. Later this week I will dehydrate the berries themselves. Yum.


I used a bit of the puree with larger chunks of strawberries for frozen treats. Again, just berries, lemon juice & a Tbsp of sugar. So, what have you done with strawberries lately?
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. It's going to be strawberry week over at my blog too. LOVE the first strawberries of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i want strawberries! and yes, no honey for the baby until she's at least a year old...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get your popsicle containers? We have a few, but we are trying to get some more for J to have frozen pops this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of it called fruit leather..I have bought it at the store but didn't know how easy I can make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Misfit Momma, it rather resembles berry flavored leather when it is finished! ;) I make mine thicker and it takes a bit of tearing and pulling to eat, but the kids love it.

    Try your local Target, or Walmart for Popsicle containers. I found some cheap ones at Bi-Mart (here in OR) and some off of amazon.com for fun shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so yummy! I'm so jealous :O)

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!