Friday, July 9, 2010

Have You Ever Made.... Marshmallows?

Seriously? I bet if you have tried a homemade marshmallow, you have made one. They are so easy and yummy. No, really... all that sugar can't taste bad! A sure crowd pleaser, and far better than their mass produced cousins, you will be back again and again for these simple treats.

What You Will Need:
3 1/2 envelopes (2 tablespoons plus 2 1/2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
1 cup cold water, divided
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla
About 1 cup confectioners’ sugar

First put your gelatin in 1/2 c. water to bloom (dissolve) in your standing mixer bowl. Then spray or oil up a 13x9 inch pan. I love to use a glass casserole for this.

Then move on to the sugar. You will need a reliable thermometer. In a heavy bottomed saucepan add the remaining 1/2 c. water, sugar and salt over low heat to dissolve. Stir it with a wooden spoon. Once the sugar is dissolved, bring it up to a boil. You want to get the sugar up to 240 degrees. Medium heat will work and be patient. If you turn it up to hot, it can burn. Don't stir it now... just wait.


Once you reach 240 degrees. Take it off the heat and pour your hot sugar (it is hot and sticky!!!) over the gelatin to dissolve it. Beat on high till the mixture triples in volume and is light and fluffy. This part is so fun! While mixing, in a separate bowl beat your egg whites to stiff peaks. Then beat your egg whites and vanilla ... or any other flavor or coloring you want to add.



Chill the marshmallows in a 9x11 baking dish for at least 3 hours or overnight. Slip your knife around the edges and then peel it from your dish. Then spray your knife with a little cooking spray and cut into squares. Toss the squares into a bowl of powdered sugar to coat. They will keep in an airtight container for 4 days. But, they probably won't last even that long!


...and then eat them, toast them or roast them. Yum! We enjoyed ours roasted over a 4rth of July camp fire.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe. I used to make these and had lost the recipe. They are good! I roll mine in fine toasted coconut sometimes too for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! I will have to try that. I just adore coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I haven't but you make them look so good and then to toast them. I bet they are tons better than store marshmallows. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I have been wanting to do this for a while and now I have a simpl to follow recipe to use! Thanks for sharing! I'm stopping by from New Friend Friday!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!