Sunday, January 22, 2012

Nigella's Lazy Loaf - Gutsy Cooks Club

This week I found 2 amazing recipes to make for the Gutsy Cook's Club. This would be the second fabulous treat I tried and loved!

First of all, I am a huge fan of Nigella Lawson. I have a few of her cookbooks and love that she pours her heart and soul into real foods.

I also had to try anything called a "Lazy Loaf", especially when I read the list of ingredients. Lazy? ...and healthy? Count me in.

What makes this special? Well, apart from it being super simple it is made with Muesli. I don't usually have that in my pantry, but it was easy enough to find a raw version in our bulk food section at the grocery store. I went ahead and got a little crazy by throwing in some additional dried cranberries.


6 ingredients is simple in my book...


This was practically the "dump cake" version of bread. Everything got dumped in together, mixed and then plopped in a greased loaf pan. *Plop*


Think thick oatmeal. I had some reservations, but my Muesli was already committed...

The next part was fun. It goes into a cold oven for a while and rises... then, without taking it out of the oven, crank up the heat and let it go for another hour. Then open the oven door to get a glimpse of pure "lazy" magic.


Tah-dah! This sucker is like a lead brick. If you have weak wrists, get help.


But inside? Amazing!
It reminds me of the expensive "healthy" bread my folks used to buy when I was young. It has a thick crust, but a dense and soft inner crumb laced with the nuts and sweet dried fruit from the Muesli. I was blown away.

...and I was in love.

So far I like it best lightly toasted with a swipe of butter and homemade peach jam. I highly suggest taking a peak at the recipe yourself. I will be making this again. Next time I might throw in a bit of cinnamon. Yum!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. We also couldn't get over how good and simple it was. Had it for breakfast on the go today. It was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I been hearing how good this was and I'm going to make it this week... Totally late, but who cares.. we are gutsy, we are late! Welcome again to our little cooking club.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!