Thursday, February 23, 2012

Love My Crock Pot Split Pea Soup #Recipe



I love a good bowl of split pea soup in the Winter.


Add to that how easy it is to make with a crock pot, and how healthy all that fiber is for you, and I am definitely in love. Don't bother me when I am eating. I like to savor every undistracted bite.

Usually I whip up a batch after the family enjoys a ham for the holidays, but it is really just as easy to throw together with a ham hock, ham steak and a crisper drawer full of veggies.

Most of the items for my soup are always ready in my pantry. I keep a large mason jar full of split peas with my dry goods, even though I really only use them for this particular soup recipe.

I love how it makes the house smell as it cooks all day. So inviting, warm and filling it is a great way to end a day. The colors might not be so inviting, but the flavor makes up for it.


Andrea's Split Pea Soup


You Will Need:
1 ham hock
16 oz. of dry split peas
1/2 c. chopped yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 celery ribs, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tsp. dried parsley
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. onion powder
4-6 c. chicken stock, enough to cover the veggies
2 c. diced ham steak

Save out half the chopped celery, carrots, potato and 1 1/2 c. of diced ham. Reserve these ingredients for later.

Saute the onions until soft. Add the minced garlic for approximately one minute.

Layer the other ingredients in the crock pot in order and turn it on low for 8 hours. As it cooks the split peas will break down.

After 6 hours remove the ham bone and bay leaf. With an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender, puree the soup. Then add the remaining chopped vegetables and blended soup back to the crock pot and continue cooking for another 2 hours or until the veggies are soft. This is a good time to check the consistency of your soup. I like mine thick, but often thin it out with a little added chicken stock.

Enjoy!


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, especially with all the snow we have outside now it would be a perfect dish! Thank you for the recipe!

    Stopping by from the Fantabulous Weekend Alexa Hop :) Thanks for linking up www.mommydigger.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love split pea soup! This sounds yummy. :)

    I'm dropping in via the Alexa drop hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup really looks delicious!


    Stopping by from the Friday Hops.
    Have a great weekend.
    POSH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Split Pea Soup is my favorite!! I love it with a nice hot, buttery & moist slab of cornbread. This reminds me so much of my Nana (who raised me & is 2K miles away & I miss so dearly). I also LOVE my crockpot! Actually, tonight I just made homemade chicken & dumplings from scratch & it was bomb! I am going to try your Split Pea recipe next week for certain! Can't wait :) Thanks for sharing!!
    chevsweeps(@)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!