Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Kids Going Green with the Gigglin' Garden Gang! #GoGreenNGiggle

Spring is here and our farm is a buzz with planting!

It is only natural that my children want to get in on the action. One great way to introduce young children to the thrill of growing their own plants is with a simple kit. I found some great green child-friendly ideas on the Gigglin' Garden Gang site. The site offers fun facts and activities for kids. I loved the characters like Sunflower Suzi and my 2-year old daughter loved the theme song you can play on the site. There is also a corner with information for parents and items for purchase.


 I purchased the "Go Green and Giggle"® Book & Tote Garden Activity Gift Set, pictured above. Check-out was simple and done through Amazon so no need for me to set up an account, etc.. The set came with everything to get my kids planting and preparing to garden outside. I received a book, song CD, Sunflower Greenhouse kit and an eco-friendly tote.



When the box arrived my kids were ready to tear into it. I hadn't told them it was coming so it was a nice surprise. The first thing they wanted to do was read the book that was included. I appreciated the message behind the products and especially the Go Green & Giggle Motto (#GoGreenNGiggle): Get Outdoors, Take a Breath of Fresh Air, Protect Mother Earth and Recycle with Care.




The book introduced the character Sunflower Suzi and also included some garden humor jokes that my 4-year old loved! Then on the last page there was a little treasure awaiting my young readers, a packet of sunflower seeds.


Of course we had to plant them immediately! My children have a hard time not planting seeds they find. My son did the honors of putting water on the planting discs.


Both children enjoyed watching the discs "grow" as they soaked in the water. Waiting for the soil to be ready was the hardest part. The kit included instructions for everything and was easy enough for my children to do just by looking at the pictures.


Because the kit uses the soil discs there was no mess to clean up. We rinsed the potting soil off fingers, closed the top and found a warm, bright spot to wait for our seeds to sprout. You can stop by http://gigglingardengang.com for information on how to transplant the seedlings when it is time.


The last piece of the kit was the song CD that includes the theme song found on the website. My daughter loves it. I wasn't so impressed with the second song, a rap, but maybe older children would enjoy it more.

If you are looking to get your children involved with planting this year, I would recommend the Gigglin' Garden Gang as a great place start. You can also connect with them on both twitter: @GoGreenNGiggle and on their Facebook page.

Do you have budding gardeners in your home? How do your children like to pitch in with Spring planting?

*Disclaimer - This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. #CBias. All opinions expressed are my own. Your experience may differ from mine.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these fun photos. They did a great job! As the creator of the Gigglin' Garden Gang and the "Go Green and Giggle" theme, I also appreciate knowing that the motto stands out as a fun teaching tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...it looks like they had lots of fun! My children love getting packages too, it's like Christmas or a birthday! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!