Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Mexican Lasagna Recipe - An Easy Twist!

I love lasagna. What is there not to love about pasta and creamy, cheesy goodness?


Of course, I really don't care for how long it takes to put together a good lasagna. Yeah, I know I am a from-scratch martyr, but it just tastes so good.

This lasagna has a more Mexican food vibe with black beans, corn, green chilies and tomatoes. The upside is it is not only a tasty twist, but it cuts down on prep time significantly. Yippee! Just let the can opener do most of the work.




This was my first time trying no-boil noodles. Okay, they did save me time, but I would prefer to roll them out myself. Have you tried these? No boiling or prep needed at all. Just place them in the dish and bake as normal. Since I am pregnant I have been trying to find ways to simplify our nightly meals.

Despite what I would like, sometimes I don't have time to do it all. Luckily this meal doesn't sacrifice on the flavor.


Mexican Lasagna 

You Will Need:

  • 1 box of no-boil lasagna noodles
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 can Rotel 
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 can black beans
  • 2 c. Monterey Jack Cheese and Colby Jack, shredded
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1 (15 oz.) container of ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • Handful of black olives, sliced

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a 9x12 baking dish, spread a little tomato sauce to just cover the bottom so the noodles are wet and won't stick.


Start with your first layer of no-boil noodles in the pan. One box has enough noodles to cover a 9x12 pan, but just enough so don't overlap unless you need to.


Combine the Rotel, black beans, corn, cumin, and salt in a bowl. Mix them together. This will be the filling for the lasagna.


In another bowl, mix up the ricotta cheese, egg, garlic powder and oregano. Give it a good mix until well incorporated. This will be the ricotta layer.


On your noodles spread half the ricotta mixture, then top with 1/2 the filling and sprinkle on 1/3 cup of grated cheese.


Repeat the layering process with more noodles, the remaining ricotta and remaining filling. Top with a bit more cheese and add your final layer of noodles. I spread just a little tomato sauce on top so the top layer of noodles would be soft then topped with the remaining cheese, green onions and olives.


Bake for about 30-40 minutes, covered with aluminum foil, until the cheese is melted and the lasagna is heated through.

Enjoy!
Andrea
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. It looks great - I pinned it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious, going to have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my mercy - lasagna and mexican food are two of my favs! I know what's for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 0h this looks amazing. Combines two of my favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Mexican flare! I love olives! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I love the new take on an old classic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I pinned it so I can try it later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks amazing! Off to pin it so I can remember to make it one night.
    Kas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, that looks so good! I'm definitely pinning. I've never used those no boil noodles but may have to give them a whirl. Thanks so much for linking up to Inspire Me Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe is right up my alley. Unfortunately, I'm off dairy until we know if the new baby is sensitive like his brothers were. I'm pinning this to make when I can have dairy again! Looks sooo good!
    I've never seen the no boil noodles. I'll keep my eye out for these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really yummy! love that it is meatless!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!