Monday, February 10, 2014

Easy Easter Bunny Onesie - Silhouette Cameo Craft


Feeling crafty?

This year I wanted to get to know my Silhouette Cameo a little better. This machine does so much and I haven't had a chance to even scratch the surface. I would love to say that I am an old pro at the Silhouette, but the truth is I have had it for almost a year and can count all the projects I have completed with it on one hand. One hand!

This month I participated in a Silhouette Challenge and the theme was fabric. With a new neice I thought it would be the perfect chance to create a little custom onesie for her.

Since we won't have the chance to meet her till next month, I thought an Easter themed bunny would be fitting.

Now, you could cut this out by hand... but the Silhouette makes cutting out fabric so much easier.


For this project I needed a onesie, fabric interfacing - I used the Silouette brand sewable stuff here... in the past I have used Heat 'n Bond light, cotton fabric and a sewing machine to stitch it all down at the end.

Not bad, right? Most crafters have a treasure trove of stash fabric laying around anyway. A cute little onesie is an easy afternoon project.


I purchased a cute little bunny silhouette to use for this project. I love all the art available for projects like this. I kept it simple since I would be cutting fabric.

I got the dimensions of my graphic and then cut a peice of fabric larger than my shape. I ironed on the interfacing... rough side goes towards the wrong side of the fabric. Don't worry, the instructions are also on the heat transfer packaging.


I used a cotton setting since that was compatible with my cotton fabric. I pressed until the glue held. I peeled off the backing and then put it on my cutting mat.

I just purchased a new fabric blade for this project and made sure to use all the suggested settings for blade setting and speed.

Be sure to line everything up and keep in mind where your shape is arranged on the screen. I ended up taking just the tip of my bunny's ear off and did the cut twice before being satisfied with it. It was a good learning experience.


I was a little skeptical about how well the Silhouette would cut fabric but I was amazed at the clean cut. The shape peeled right off the cutting mat for me and was ready to iron onto the onesie.

This really could get addictive!


After ironing my shape onto the onesie, I stitched around the shape on my sewing machine to hold it down. This should help extend the life of my project as it gets laundered.

For an added touch I cut out a little white felt heart tail for my bunny and hand stitched it to the applique.

I think it will be very fitting for my new neice's first Easter.


So there you have it. Somehow I survived my very first Silhouette challenge ... I completed a project and did a little happy dance.

Unfortunately my daughter, 4, is already asking for her own Easter shirt. I think I can manage that one.


Next month, another project and a new way to use my Silhouette Cameo. I hope you will come back and check it out. And if you are looking for more project ideas, check out what my buddies in the Silhouette Challenge created with fabric:


  1. No-Sew Valentine's Day Pillows by A Tossed Salad Life
  2. No-Sew Interchangeable Fabric Bunting by unOriginal Mom
  3. Monogrammed Burlap Garden Flag by The Turquoise Home
  4. Crawl, Walk, Bike by It's Always Craft Time
  5. Freezer Paper Stenciled Tote Bags by Weekend Craft
  6. DIY Bleach Spray Shirt by Practically Functional
  7. Stenciling Sherlock by Please Excuse My Craftermath...
  8. Felt Star Wands by Cutesy Crafts
  9. Yoda Kid's T-Shirt by Architecture of a Mom
  10. Mark Your Territory- Dog Flags by Black and White Obsession
  11. Nautical Pillows by Lil' Mrs. Tori
  12. Big Sister Gift & Silhouette Cut File by Creative Ramblings
  13. Nerdy Baby Onesies + Free Cut File by Essentially Eclectic
  14. Easy Easter Bunny Onesie - Silhouette Cameo Craft by Adventures in All Things Food & Family
  15. Fabric Envelopes for LEARNING LETTERS! (& cut file) by From Wine to Whine
  16. "Good Morning, Sunshine!" Memo Board by Tried & True
  17. Hearts-A-Lot Burlap Pillow Cover by My Paper Craze
  18. Baby Quilt by Dragonfly & Lily Pads
  19. Surprise Holiday Banner by Whats Next Ma
  20. "Team Betty" Tote Bag by The Thinking Closet
  21. DIY Sock Minion by Create it. Go!
  22. Pretty Up Some Organza Bags by Getsilvered
  23. Easy Heart Appliqued Onsies by Create & Babble
  24. Bleach Pen Gel & Freezer Paper Stencils Made with the Silhouette Machine by Bringing Creativity 2 Life
  25. Valentines Baby Onesie & Boy's Shirt + Free Cut Files by The Frill of Life
  26. Valentine's OWL Always Love You T-shirt by My Favorite Finds
  27. DIY Screen Printed Curtains by Chicken Scratch NY
  28. Fabric Painted Quilted Wall Hanging by Terri Johnson Creates
  29. Glitter Iron-On Top by Simply Kelly Designs
  30. DIY Monogrammed T-shirts with Silhouette Heat Transfer Material by Pitter and Glink
  31. Birthday Challenge by Fadville
  32. Machine Applique with SIlhouette Cameo by The Sensory Emporium
  33. Fabric Applique Valentine's Day T-Shirt by DailyDwelling
  34. "Cute as Cupid" shirt by crafts, cakes, and cats
  35. Sew Cute Applique by Life After Laundry
  36. Rhino Onesie by It Happens in a Blink
  37. Upcycled Birchbox Cameo Accesory Organizer by Cupcakes&Crowbars
  38. Customizing textiles with Heat Transfer Vinyl (working title) by feto soap
  39. Easy Fabric Art by McCall Manor
  40. Lady Bug Tote Bag with Silhouette Rhinestones by Ginger Snap Crafts
  41. Mommy and Em's Coordinated Aprons by TitiCrafty
  42. Canvas sketch project and a share by Clever Someday
  43. Foxy Lady Pajamas by Mabey She Made It
  44. Teddy Bear by Work in Progress
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!