Saturday, August 8, 2015

Bread & Butter Pickles - #SundaySupper


Sunday is here and it is time for another great recipe. This #SundaySupper event is all about Saving Summer Harvest and I was really excited to jump in. I love canning and especially love looking at all those neat rows of preserved food all Winter long. For us the big favorites are tomatoes, green beans, jams of varying varieties and peaches.

But over the past few years, due to babies, then toddlers, then another baby, I haven't had a chance to put much away before the summer harvest ends.

*sigh*

One of my all-time favorite things to put away are pickles. Truly, I could just snack on them alone, but I think they are perfect for sandwiches, egg salad, tuna salad, etc. Of course if the idea of steam bath canners, pressure canners and canning in general makes you nervous, you are in luck.  I chose my favorite delicious and easy refrigerator pickle. I only make these in small batches since they need to be refrigerated after making, but they are perfect if you don't have a lot of time.

A jar of fast pickled bread and butter pickles also make a great hostess gift and is easy enough to always have on hand this time of year.


The process is actually quite simple. First I wash and slice the cucumbers, and then I bring the pickling solution up to a boil.


This solution contains vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds and even a bit of tumeric, for color.


The hot pickling liquied is poured over the prepared cucumbers and thin slices of yellow onion. I let it cool off and then fill my jars for the refrigerator.


Bread and Butter pickles taste the best after they have been able to sit in the fridge for a couple of days. It gives the cucumbers time to really soak up the flavor of the pickling liquid. Mmmm....

Ready to get pickling?

Fast Bread and Butter Pickles 

You Will Need:

  • 2 lbs. small pickling cucumbers
  • 2 Tbsp. Kosher salt
  • 1/2 c. thinly sliced yellow onion
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 c. distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. mustard seed
  • 1/2 tsp. celery seed
  • 1/8 tsp. turmeric
Wash the cucumbers gently, cut off the ends and then, with a mandolin, slice the cucumber uniformly. Salt the sliced cucumbers for 1 hour to release excess water. At the end of the hour, rinse the cucumber slices well and let drain.

Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring up to a boil.

Place prepared cucumber in a shallow dish and spread evenly. Cover with the pickling liquid and allow to come to room temperature. Then fill jars with cucumbers and enough liquid to cover the top. Place the lids on and refrigerate. These pickles taste best after 24 hours. 

These pickles must be refrigerated and are not shelf stable. Refrigerated, they will last several weeks. Ours just never last that long! 




...and be sure to check out all the other Summer Saving Harvest recipes below:

Canning
Dehydrating
Fermentation
Freezing
Infusing

Pickling
Preserving in oil or butter
And for even more help and support

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!