Monday, May 31, 2010

What is Better Than 2 Twix?

Well, a whole batch of home made twix! I was so excited to find this recipe over at taste buds. This is a truly inspirational food blog. I warn you, it is not healthy for any dieters to venture there.


Okay, so this is a lovely recipe that I will be making again very soon. On another blog I heard they freeze well too. I do want to play around with it for next time. The crust needed to be a little browner. I let it go for the full time, but I will try longer. Also I think it needs a little larger baking dish. There was a bit too much cookie for me... and I wouldn't mind spreading out the caramel. So, maybe a bit more chocolate on top as well. I hope it doesn't sound like I didn't enjoy these. My DH snarfed up a bunch for breakfast! ...and they will not last long. I am just working for perfection. :)

This recipe is great because it is so simple! (and fast!) I modified the chocolate & suggest a 8x11 baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

You will Need:

(For the crust)
1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter softened (not melted)

(For the caramel)
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp corn syrup
1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk

& 1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips (or milk if you prefer)
1 Tbsp shortening

Cut your butter into the sugar & flour for the crust. I think I might try a touch of vanilla in here next time. (..if you try it, let me know) Spray then line and respray your baking dish. This is so you can lift the whole thing out to cut it easily. This also gives you lovely looking bars! Press the crust down as evenly as you can. Really pack it down. I use the bottom of a glass to help. Then bake this 15 to 20 minutes or till they just start to turn golden. Take them out and cool.

Now start on the caramel. Dump all the ingredients into a heavy bottomed saucepan. Now this is the most difficult step. You need to stir constantly so it doesn't burn. Bring it up to a gentle boil on medium heat. Then boil it for 5 minutes. Remember, don't stop stirring! Take it off the heat and continue to stir till it thickens & cools slightly. Then pour it on top of your crust. Even it out with your spoon. I let this layer cool down till it set up before I went onto the next step.

Now the chocolate! A double boiler would work nicely, but the microwave also works out fine. Heat up the chocolate & shortening in a glass bowl. Keep an eye on it. You don't want it to scorch. When the chips seem softened, give it a stir. Then place it back to heat it till it is smooth. It only takes a few minutes, but I check it every 30 seconds. Then pop it on top and smooth it out. Let it cool & then pop it into the fridge for an hour or so till hard.

Then slice & enjoy! Use the foil or parchment to lift out the whole sheet and then cut it flat. Store these in your fridge or freezer. But, I promise they won't last long!



Pin It

3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! Definitely going to be trying it out! :) I'm already a follower so I'm just dropping by to say hi!


    Kim

    http://chubbycheeksthinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look super GOODe ;)

    Thanks for stopping by Goodeness Gracious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!