Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Own Fried Rice - Twisted!

I love rice! Yeah, I never went for the low carb diet. I was too busy living it up in Japan with my chopsticks poised to devour each and every grain that came my way. One fabulous family I stayed with during college would make this little dish with their left over rice, so it is a great way to reduce waste.

This is not an exact recipe so don't worry about amounts. Add what you have and to taste!

I usually fry up a scrambled egg or two just short of set. It will be tossed in and reheated at the end. Set aside your egg.

Then cut up your veggies and toss in a wok on medium heat till crip-tender with oil. If you have sesame oil, put in a tsp. or two in for flavor. I put in a bit of carrot, a little onion, & cabbage. Then I added the rice (2 cups was what I had on hand). I gave it a good toss in the oil.


Then I added my sauce. You can use ketchup... yeah, you heard me! I use the organic stuff that doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup. You can also use a cup or so of tomato sauce. I still have some left over from canning last year. To this I added a bit of rice wine vinegar (regular white distilled will also work) and garlic powder. Ahem, ...ketchup flavored! Now I chop up some little smokies & green onions. Add these to the pan along with the cooked egg, and a handful or two of frozen green peas. Turn the heat up and I let it get a little crunchy on the bottom. I toss it a bit and get a little crust on it.


Season to taste. I suggest a little more garlic powder or garlic salt and pepper. Super simple and a great kid pleaser! No one ever believes that I learned to make this in Japan. Not typical Asian Cuisine, to be sure! Enjoy.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!! This looks fantastic! I love fried rice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I sent it off to my husband to see if he wants this for dinner tonight. God, I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!