Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hunts Deserves a Second Look!

I have a confession to make... I am obsessed with ridding our pantry of high fructose corn syrup. It is easier said that done! One of the biggest problems has been our ketchup. I do enjoy making our own food, and ketchup is high on my list, but that doesn't help me right now. Now, before tomatoes are available locally I am out of luck and at the mercy of our store shelves. I think my DH & I spent 20 minutes reading the back of every ketchup available at our grocery store. The result? We only found one brand that didn't contain the cow plumping high fructose corn syrup we were trying so hard to avoid. We bought it. But, at almost $5 a bottle, I was in pain. Well, in my wallet.

My toddler can eat large amounts of tomatoes with his diet and he is really into the dipping action. But, anyone with toddlers can vouch that more "dip-dip" gets wasted than eaten. And a bottle of ketchup goes fast!
I was excited to see that large companies are taking notice of consumers being pickier eaters... Hunts just launched a ketchup that is 100% natural. No additives or high fructose corn syrup in the recipe. The label doesn't contain a bunch of hard to read names or scary sounding preservatives. So, I bought a bottle. I want the big companies to know that we love this "new" approach. Simple is good. And the price? At under $2 it was much easier on our budget. So my son is back in "dip-dip" thanks to Hunts.

I didn't receive any compensation or product in exchange for this posting. I am just excited to see a new product that fits my family so well and I wanted to share it with all my readers. But, rest assured... I will be posting my ketchup adventures this fall.

*Disclaimer - this post was purely written off a personal review. No compensation or free product was received in exchange for this review.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Ah, ketchup... we're going to try making a fermented version sometime soon. I just finished up making tomato paste to use.

    We try to avoid HFCS too... it's more important for us, since J gets yeast very easily and another sister can't have any sugar (artifical or otherwise). It really helps when we make most/all of our food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We avoid HFCS too - it's nice to know that companies are actually listening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm allergic to corn and fruit sugar (fructose) so I am also very very happy to see this!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!