Monday, August 29, 2011

Shaved Zucchini Summer Salad #Recipe - Secret Recipe Club

It is another month, and time for another great blog and recipe from The Secret Recipe Club!


What's the secret? Well, I am assigned a blog, I peruse their recipes, drool over posts and photos till I come up with my selection. I make it and then announce "Ta-dah!" who I was assigned and what I made. Sound like fun? This is the brain-child of Amanda from Amanda’s Cookin’, and you can join up, see the other blogs involved and learn all the deets at The Secret Recipe Club blog.



 I was assigned The Ginger Snap Girl's blog. Gloria has a real passion for food and you can tell by the recipes she shares on her blog. What can I say? She is a foodie after my own heart. I love that she offers a wide variety of recipes, from healthy like the Zucchini Summer Salad I chose, to cookies and doughnuts.

Why did I choose zucchini? Well, we have a lot of it right now and I am always looking for new and tasty ways to use it.

This is a really simple and great Summer salad. You will just need a handful of ingredients:


You Will Need:
  • 2 pounds small (3 to 4 oz. each) zucchini, green or yellow and or yellow squash, washed and ends trimmed
  • 3 ounces of fresh Parmesan cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
  • 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted (you can easily do this yourself)
  • 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
  • 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil
  • salt & pepper to taste  
First you need to wash and prepare the zucchini. This requires a mandolin to get the squash a uniform and 1/16 " thickness. I just purchased this upgrade recently and it did a fabulous job!

Here I have an assortment of zucchini and summer squash. Can you tell the difference? The smaller squash on the left is the Summer Squash. The other two are both zucchini, just different colors. We grow all of these on the farm so I grabbed an assortment.Slice the squash length-wise and put in a colander. I slightly salted mine and let it drain over a bowl as I prepared the rest of the dish.

Toasting your own almonds is easy! I love using the cast iron skillet for this. It gives a consistent and even heat. Don't go above medium heat and stir frequently for about 5 minutes or until the reach a nice golden color. Set these aside.

Now grab your fresh basil, I grabbed a little from our garden, and roll it. Thinly slice it.


Now use a plain old vegetable peeler to make long slices of Parmesan cheese and set aside. Now it is time to assemble the salad!

Place the squash in a bowl and toss with the olive oil and lemon juice. Toss in the basil and top with the toasted almonds, Parmesan slices and additional salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Did you notice there was very little "cooking" involved? Just perfect for those hot days.


Mmm... Enjoy! Be sure to stop by The Ginger Snap Girl's blog for this recipe and more great stuff. Let her know that Andrea from Adv. in Food sent you.

Be sure to check out all the other great goodies made by other members of The Secret Recipe Club:
Secret Recipe Club


Pin It

29 comments:

  1. I love how fresh and healthy this looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great summer salad idea! I love that use of toasted almonds! I am sure it tastes delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen yellow zucchini like that! Cool!

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful summer salad! It looks like an instant classic at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the zucchini was shaved, what a beautiful salad and another way to use up that prolific zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the almonds with the zucchini. I think this will be our salad tonight! Kate@kateiscooking

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious! And it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How appropriate for the season! I have a yellow squash in my fridge that nees eaten, and this salad may become its destiny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colours - and that it looks so easy to make :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First i have to say your little girl is adorable. And you did a fantastic job on SRC. Love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great summer salad. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great way to use the abundance of squash that seems to appear overnight! Very nice salad and a great selection for SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As soon as I saw Shaved Zucchini Summer Salad in the blog hop I knew I had found my secret blogger! Thank you for the kind words about my blog. I really enjoyed this salad and seeing it on your blog makes me want to make it again, like tonight. Your salad looks wonderful and glad to hear you were able to use up some of your squash!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been seeing recipes around for shaved zucchini salads, and I NEED to try it! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This secret recipe thing sounds like such a cool idea, and this particular salad sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a very LARGE zucchini sitting on my kitchen counter from our garden. It' the last one I'll use for the year since I've made more than my share of zucchini recipes this summer. This would be a perfect farewell dish to such a versatile vegetable! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great way to use all the summer zucchini.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A" ~ SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great light salad. Great SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great way to get rid of all those extra zucchini in your garden This is a great and healthy SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice post. I love zucchini but always seem to grill it which is good but would be nice trying something else.
    Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely seasonal recipe. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea for a summer salad! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE this recipe, I already printed it out!

    I was in Secret Recipe Club: Group B. Here are my two posts I hope you have time to check them out, if you haven't seen them already.

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/cucumber-salad-secret-recipe-club.html

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/raspberry-nutella-pizza-secret-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Zucchini!! Glad to have you in Group C

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks sooooo yummy!! Thank you for sharing:) I'm going to try it:)
    annejk112233(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love, love the freshness of this salad! What a great selection. Glad to meet another SRC member. Have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a healthy & wonderful zucchini salad.
    Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post for September :) http://su.pr/1Sizv9

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!