Thursday, April 19, 2012

Healthy & Simple Turkey Lettuce Wraps - Fun With Food#Recipe


Thanks for joining me for another Fun with Food Friday hosted by Mama Chocolate.

As the weather gets warmer I gravitate to simpler and lighter meals. I love Asian inspired foods and lettuce wraps are one of my favorites to order when we are dining out. The problem is my rural town isn't blessed with a wide variety of restaurants.

Do you know how easy lettuce wraps are to make at home?

With just a few simple items in the pantry, you could make your own delicious lettuce wraps whenever the mood hits. This dish requires Chinese 5 Spice, one bottle will keep me happy for months, and also Hoisin Sauce. My husband discovered the joys of Hoisin Sauce and now I know I should stash a few extra bottles way in the back of the cupboard - the way back! Yes, it is that good.

This is a great basic recipe. Dress it up with a dipping sauce or add in other veggies. I kept it simple and my husband dipped into the Hoisin Sauce bottle a few times during dinner. So start here:


Turkey Lettuce Wraps

You Will Need:

  • 1 c. cooked brown rice
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 lb. lean ground turkey
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 large bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1/2 c. chicken stock
  • 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
  • 1 tsp. five-spice powder
  • 2 heads lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
  • 1 c. cucumber, sliced and cut into quarters
  • 1 large carrot, shredded

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and ginger; cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula until the turkey is cooked through, about 6 minutes. 


2. Stir in the cooked rice, bell pepper, broth, Hoisin Sauce, and five-spice powder, cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Be careful not to over salt this dish early on, the stock and Hoisin Sauce are already salty.

3. Let the mixture cool down enough to handle or serve chilled with lettuce, cucumber and carrot. Place a little of the filling mixture in the middle of each leaf, top with desired veggies, roll and enjoy.



This week's recipe is my own creation. Created to fill a void for a Chinese food loving gal in a rural town.

Check out more Fun with Food Friday co-hosts with 
Mama Chocolate  and her Easy Crock Pot Pulled Chicken
Amanda from Coping with Frugality with Stuffed Peppers with Sausage and Shrimp
Ashley from and the little ones too with Peanut Butter Cups
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!