Saturday, July 28, 2012

Did I Miss Something? Assumptions vs. Reality of A SAHM

This past week has been a blurr...

No, really. Who am I? Where am I? ...and why is the house still not clean?

Actually my sleep-deprived brain fog is starting to lift, but the amount of things to do around here has only grown. My Mom is flying in for a visit and there is much to prepare. You know, shoveling out a room for her to sleep in, cleaning spaghetti splatters off the walls & ceiling, and trying to make it look like my kids are not just tornadoes in tennis shoes.

The truth is when I decided to become a Stay-at-Home-Mom I thought I would have time to bake, cook, keep a spotless house, exercise and craft my day away. My little day-dreamed utopia hasn't quite panned out. I don't seem to have a spare moment with a 3 and 4 1/2-year old running around.

When I went out on maternity leave my co-workers warned me that I would be dying to get back to work. They painted a picture of baby boredom and one of the gals went back only 2 weeks after giving birth. I was skeptical about the desire to rush right back to work, but had no idea what I would fill my days with. Soap operas and daytime talk shows? The prospects weren't too exciting.

Fast forward 4 years and I wake as early my body will allow - not that early. I tiptoe downstairs praying for a quiet cup of coffee, but usually my kids' spidey-senses are buzzing and they pad down the stairs shortly after. Then my day whirls with cries, shouts and screams of  "Mommy I'm hungry", "Mommy I want..." or "Mom! Help!".

This past week was especially difficult. Trying to organize/clean a house with needy little people was next to impossible. There was a chicken bathing incident, spills, bathroom flooding, crayons on the walls and sibling fights. Who has time for Rachel Ray when I am captaining this ship?


So, I will apologize to my Mom for the messy house. I know in my heart she will understand. Today I just plan on taking one moment at a time. Will I fit everything in? Probably not. I feel more like a fish swimming upstream during spawning season. I may just let myself float for a bit.

The reality of a Stay-at-Home Mom isn't glamorous. It isn't even fun or sane all of the time. It is an amazing job and I never know what joys or blessing in the day will come my way. As for wanting to get back to work? I have a lifetime for that. Right now I am busy with my kids.

Andrea
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I love this; thank you for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know how you feel! I have an 8 year old a 7 year old a 4 year old and a 3 1/2 month old. It's nice to know there are others out there who know what we are going through. By the way that picture of your little one is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherish every moment of these as it will past and you will missed it like I do now. Both my sons are in their teens. Elder in college and hangs out with friends more then with us and my younger son will be in college in a couple of years time. I can imagine the house so quiet with just me, the dog, some fishes and some stray cats hanging around the backyard by then. Happy blogging and parenting to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same thing here. I've been out of work for 3 years just enjoying my kids!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!