Monday, July 16, 2012

Root Beer Bundt Cake - The Secret Recipe Club (#SRC)


Sometimes I want something other than chocolate... not vanilla or strawberry. Sometimes I want a dessert that makes me feel like a kid wanting to scoop up every last crumb and then lick the plate.

But of course I don't want to fuss around in the kitchen, but a box just won't do.

The humblest of bundt cakes can be the perfect treat to make to celebrate, "just because".

So why did I break out my bundt pan this month? Well, it is time, yet again, for the monthly installment of the Secret Recipe Club!

Secret Recipe Club

This month I was assigned Katie's blog, Betcha Can't Eat Just One. If you are looking for a fabulous sweet treat, don't look any further, this blog is jam-packed with sweets, treats and great food photography. It really was hard to decide on just one thing. I have pinned and bookmarked several other recipes to revisit later. 

What can I say, the Root Beer Bundt Cake just spoke to me...


Katie mentioned that the root beer flavor was still a little subtle in her second attempt so I used my root beer syrup concentrate (from Soda Stream for homemade soda) instead of the canned soda. I loved it. It really reminded me of sucking on root beer barrels as a kid.

My husband's great grandfather loved root beer and we are pretty sure he would have approved of this moist and flavorful cake. If you love root beer, you have to give it a try!

Root Beer Bundt Cake

You Will Need:
  • 1 1/2 c. root beer concentrate (Soda Stream)
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp. espresso powder
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
  • 1 star anise
  • 2 c. AP flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 c. root beer concentrate
  • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
  • 2 c. powdered sugar, or more to reach desired thickness

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease your bundt pan with butter, shortening or cooking spray. I like to use Wilton's Cake Release which is a nonstick spray with flour. I swear by it!

In a small saucepan combine the root beer syrup, cocoa, espresso powder and butter and heat until combined over medium heat. Then add the sugars, water and one star anise until the sugar has all dissolved. Stir occasionally. Set aside to cool.


In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.

Once the root beer mixture has cooled to room temperature, whisk in the eggs. Then fold, gently into the flour mixture. Don't worry about lumps.

Pour this into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the cake clean.


Take the bundt pan out and let it cool completely on a wire rack. Now, don't get impatient. The trick to getting the perfect bundt cake out of the pan is to let it cool and release from the pan sides. Give it a good hour. Then invert the cake and let it continue to cool a little.

I think bundt cakes taste best the next day, so wrap yours up tightly in plastic and let it rest.

Before serving create the glaze. I didn't simmer down the root beer since I was already using a concentrate. In a small saucepan I heated the syrup over medium heat. Then added the butter to melt, whisking constantly. Then I started adding the powdered sugar till I reached the consistency I wanted. I like a thin glaze over my cake.

Let the glaze cool slightly then pour over the cake. Dust with just a touch of powdered sugar, it desired.


Grab a tall glass of milk and enjoy!

Now go see what has been cooking in the other SRC kitchens:



Andrea
Pin It

18 comments:

  1. That root beer concentrate is a GENIUS idea! :) I don't own a soda stream but I am going to pick some of that up and give it a try! You're photos are beautiful, thanks so much for the kids words in your post :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM!!!! I love how root beer reminds us of our childhoods! I need to remember your little tip about being patient when making a bundt cake and letting them cool completely. I've ruined so many cakes by not waiting long enough LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'll bet topped with vanilla ice cream and with the concentrated root beer, you could really get a root beer float thing going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good! It looks pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've put rootbeer in a lot of things but never cake. This sounds so intriguing! My kids are huge rootbeer fans so I'm sure they would love to make this with me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Root beer definitely reminds me of my childhood too. Like you, I sometimes crave something other than chocolate. This case sounds like the perfect sweet treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Root beer definitely reminds me of my childhood too. Like you, I sometimes crave something other than chocolate. This cake looks like a great sweet treat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. Could I boil down the root beer to make the concentrate?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is how your bundt cake looks like, I just wondered is root beer an alcohol, If so I would like to try it out with something else, but just now looking at debbies comments it might not be as she says she wants to try it out with her kids!, I love your bundt pan it is beautiful, lovely clicks as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting add...I am going to try and make my favorite chocolate brownie recipe using root beer as the liquid. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Andrea,
    This is a beautiful cake, I can't wait to make it! Great selection for SRC!
    Miz Helen
    Group B SRC

    ReplyDelete
  12. so lovely. I just got a soda stream so this is perfect. rootbeer and chocolate how can you go wrong. SRC group B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely cake. Its got a great crumb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea to use the root beer syrup! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this cake caught my eye over at Hezz-D blog--had to pop in and copy this down. My daughter who's 10 had really become the lil baker and she LOVES rootbeer too---this is going on her to bake list for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea using the concentrate and you cake looks scrumptious.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Double Chocolate Mousse Cake.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!