Monday, July 16, 2012

Green Tea Ice Cream & Snickerdoodles with Mocafe


Summer reminds me of street fairs and celebrations in Japan, complete with dancing, fireworks and brightly colored yukatas and happi coats. I lived there for 4 years and fell in love with the tastes and food. So it may come as a surprise that I haven't tried making matcha ice cream until now.

Mocafe has a Green Tea Matcha Frappe mix that takes me back to Summer in Southern Japan. In fact, it is made with real Kyoto green tea. I have been to Kyoto a few times and took in a few tea ceremonies. I really enjoy the earthy, rich flavor of matcha.


I was sent a few samples to use in making an original recipe. Truth is, I just couldn't decide. I knew right away I wanted to try an ice cream using our farm fresh eggs for a rich custard base, but I thought the idea of rolling snickerdoodle cookies in a blend of sugar, cinnamon and green tea powder sounded just as fun.


In the end I made the ice cream...


...but, I also tried out the cookies. Neither disappointed and actually went well together.

Now I live in a small town, so matcha isn't something I can just find in the supermarket. When I need a cold, coffee treat though I enjoy our local Empire Coffee stand (@empirecoffee). Now, if only they would carry this Mocafe Green Tea Matcha Frappe mix.

These recipes are just too good to keep to myself, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I am.



Green Tea Ice Cream & Snickerdoodles with Mocafe

You Will Need:
Green Tea Ice Cream
1 c. whole milk
1/2 c. sugar
Pinch of salt
2 c. heavy cream
1 pkg. Mocafe Green Tea Matcha Frappe mix, reserve 2 tsp. for the cookies
6 large egg yolks



Snickerdoodles
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 1/2 c. shortening
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp. real vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 c. AP flour
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 Tbsp. white sugar
  • 2 tsp. Mocafe Green Tea Matcha Frappe mix
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon


For the Ice Cream:

Combine the milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Over medium heat dissolve the sugar.

Pour the heavy cream into a bowl and whisk in the Green Tea mix. Put a fine mesh sieve over the bowl and set aside.

Whisk the egg yolks then slowly pour in the warm milk mixture into the eggs. Whisk constantly. Then return the mixture to the saucepan and heat over medium to thicken the mixture. Don't stop stirring. When the liquid reaches 170 degrees remove from the heat. Pour through the sieve into the cream to remove any clumps of cooked egg. Whisk till well blended and then chill.

Add to an ice cream maker according to the machine instructions.

For the Cookies:

While the ice cream is chilling in the freezer, make the cookies. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Cream together the butter, shortening and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla making sure to blend completely.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Add this all at once to the wet mixture. Mix well.

Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. Then roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a ball. Mix together the sugar, cinnamon and green tea mix. Roll each ball in the green tea/sugar mixture. Place on a cookie sheet lined with Silpat and bake for 8-9 minutes.


Yes, these recipes really are that easy. Enjoy!

If you enjoyed these recipes, be sure to vote for me in the Mocafe contest. I am #22! See the whole list of entries on 5 Minutes for Mom and "like" your favorite. Thanks.

You can like Mocafe on Facebook and snag your own tea on Amazon.

*Disclaimer - I created these original recipes as an entry to win a Blendtec Blender from Mocafe through 5 Minutes for Mom. I was sent samples to create my treats and am entered into this blogging contest. All opinions are my own.



Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!