Monday, August 13, 2012

Project 365 - Collecting Sunflower Seeds


Every year I plant decorative sunflowers as a border in my garden. I love how cheery and colorful they are watching over my little vegetable garden.

Growing up I remember my Dad planting them every year. We were never able to eat the seeds before the birds or or neighbors helped themselves.

This year my kids helped me plan sunflowers. They weren't the usual decorative, small flowers. It quickly became obvious these guys were going to be massive! Out of 6 seeds, only 2 grew to full size but the heads were so big they hung down smiling on my cucumbers.


I think because the heads drooped so low, the birds never knew what treasure was waiting underneath. Today I decided to cut them and set them up to dry.

The seeds are huge! ...and though I don't have a lot of experience with raw sunflower seeds, these are  addicting. After drying I want to figure out how to dry and roast them. I have big plans for these plump little seeds and finally I got to them before anybody else.

Andrea
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Gosh that is massive! I had a few and with how dry it got even though I was watering, one day towards the end of June mine drooped- the squirrels made short work of them. Next year I am planting more for the birds (and for us)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that is so neat and the seeds do look huge!! How fun on your sunflower journey of learning to dry roast them!! I know you can do it your great at stuff like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sunflowers, they are so pretty and I love to eat the seeds too! We grew very large ones when I lived in Florida when I was a teen. I would love to start growing them again! Terrific pictures.
    twinkle at optonline dot net

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!