Friday, December 14, 2012

Birth Plans for Dummies - Review & Insight from a 3rd Time Mom

No stranger to the Dummies books, I already own several on various topics from crochet to weight training, I am a fan of the way the books are put together and contain a thorough collection of instructions and tips. 

Now being on pregnancy #3, I jumped at the chance to review Birth Plans for Dummies.


I originally wanted to review this for first time Moms reading my blog, but I quickly realized there was still a wealth of information for Moms on a 2nd, 3rd or 4th pregnancy. After a failed VBAC for baby #2, I know I will be scheduling a C-section this time around, but that doesn't mean I can't be prepared, educated, and ready with a birth plan that fits my needs.

This book is great for either a cover to cover read, or used as a reference book for the chapters that pertain to your pregnancy. I first started at the back and read through chapter 14, Cesarean Section: Yes, You Have Options. It was a great summary of what to expect and what choices you still have. I know many Moms feel blind sighted by a C-section, and feel regret that their birth plan was thrown out the window. This chapter really highlights the fact you still have options and, I believe, is an important thing to think about even if you are hoping for a natural delivery.

With my first pregnancy I didn't even read or think about C-sections, so I was completely unprepared.


Of course, other Moms having natural births will find lot of tips and ideas to think about before their big day.

Many new or expectant Moms are gifted a wide variety of baby books... or perhaps you headed straight for the bookstore when you found out you were expecting? So, why add Birth Plans for Dummies to your personal library? This book is set-up in the beloved For Dummies format. Bullets, highlights and icons help the reader find information quickly and in small chunks.

If you are familiar with the books, you probably already know what to expect:


Being pregnant is overwhelming enough, this book will take you through all the steps and prepare you for that amazing day.

Bottom line, you have options. This book will help point out available options, methods and strategies to help you find the ones that are right for you. I think it empowers soon-to-be-parents to ask questions and advocate for their beliefs and wishes. This is the most comprehensive book on birth planning I have read to date and again, I even learned a thing or two that will help me next Summer.

Locate a retailer and grab or gift a copy of Birth Plans For Dummies

*Disclaimer - I received a copy of this book to write my review. All opinions and experiences are my own.
Andrea
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Seems like a great book. I am beyond childbearing age (I HOPE) but this would have been a valuable resource.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!