Monday, January 7, 2013

Creamy Artichoke Soup Recipe (non dairy)

I would make soup everyday in Winter, if I had the time.

I love being warmed up with a big bowl of creamy soup, don't you? I already love artichokes, so when I heard about a creamy artichoke soup, I knew I wanted to try it.


Of course, I took the dairy out of it and simplified it a bit, but once we pureed it up in the blender it was a hit!



Okay, are you curious about the "creamy soup" without cream? Well, potatoes add a natural thickening and creaminess to the dish without the added fat. If you want, you can still add a dash of cream or non-dairy rice milk or soy milk on top. But, it is completely optional.

It all starts with some simple ingredients and a basic mirepoix. I wouldn't call this a bisque, because it is neither shellfish nor cream based. In fact, the secret ingredient in this creamy soup is potato.

Creamy Artichoke Soup

You Will Need:

  • olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 celery stick, chopped
  • 2 russet potatoes
  • 2 cans of artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
  • 2 c. chicken stock
  • salt and pepper to taste


Wondering what a mirepoix is? It is the French term for the lovely trio of onion, carrot and celery that starts many sauces and soup bases. 

Add a little olive oil to your pan and heat to medium. I like to slowly sweat the veggies, bringing out their natural sugars. Give them a little sprinkle of salt to help them sweat. Slow is better. If they burn, you will want to start over.


Add in the artichoke hearts, cubed potatoes and chicken stock. Set the pan on medium high heat to reach a boil, then turn it down. Give it 10-15 minutes to gently simmer.


Let the soup simmer till all the vegetables are tender. The potatoes should be soft but not mushy.


Put it in the blender to puree. Depending on the size of your blender, you might have to do this in two batches. I vent the top and cover with a kitchen towel so hot air can expand and escape. If you keep a lid on with hot liquids, you will have a big mess in your kitchen!


Mmm... warm soup. Even my 5-year old son gave this one two thumbs up.

Dress it up with a splash of non dairy milk or cream. Or enjoy your bowl of soup as is.

Enjoy!
Andrea
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the non-dairy recipe! There are so few non-dairy soup recipes out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it. I pinned it so I can come back to it and make it later this week hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being lactose intolerant I'm always looking for non-diary soups! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Think I am going to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness, this looks delicious! I just went off dairy and have been looking for yummy dinner ideas. I bet my whole family would eat this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the step by step pictures to make this a successful recipe. I am a visual learner so this would help me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks SUPER yummy!! Pinning and making it later!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!