Sunday, March 10, 2013

Korean Tacos in the Crock Pot with Homemade Kimchi - March Secret Recipe Club

recipes

One of the things I am most proud of in my life is getting the chance to travel. Being a small town girl with parents who never had the opportunity to go to college I had big dreams of seeing the world. Till I was 16 I hadn't been very far past my own little 'burg and hadn't even been outside the US.

Through an exchange program and college internship I feel in love with Asia! It wasn't hard and the food has left a lasting impression on me to this day.

After college I taught English in Japan. That job gave me the opportunity to travel during school breaks. I saw a lot of Japan, but I also wandered through China, Thailand and of course, Korea.

Korea was so warm and friendly with food that I just couldn't get enough of. Now, in Oregon a good Korean restaurant is pretty hard to come by. Buying a bottle of kimchi at the store can be a spendy endeavor and over far too quickly. So this month for my Secret Recipe Club assignment I took a little culinary journey within my own home to create these delicious Korean Tacos and quick Kimchi.

crock pot recipe

Oh, my! These are sure to get your taste buds dancing.

Secret Recipe Club

For March I was assigned to Angela's Kitchen. Now, if you haven't had the pleasure of perusing her lovely site yet, well... you better remedy that quickly! With recipes, menu plans and general food knowledge all at your fingertips, you will need to pin, bookmark and subscribe to really take advantage of all Angela has to offer her readers. She is an expert on cooking dairy free and gluten free as well as a Master Food Preserver. Oh, swoon! I have been trying to find a way to fit those great courses into my own busy schedule.

Okay, am I gushing? I might just have a foodie crush...

This particular recipe spoke to little 'ole me because it utilizes time and a crock pot. Being pregnant and tired, that is about all I have to give at the moment.

Korean Tacos

I recommend trying both recipes as the kimchi does an amazing job complimenting the beef. I am really the kimchi fan in the family, but I did get my 5-year old to try it as well. My husband went the whole shredded cheese and sour cream route (don't judge!) but we both agreed that the recipe was a keeper. ...Even if we dress our tacos a little differently.

So grab your ingredients, a crock pot and let's start cooking!

Kimchi

Quick Kimchi
Adapted from Angela's Kitchen.

You Will Need:
  • 1 head of napa cabbage
  • 1 bunch of green onions, sliced
  • 1/2 c. carrots, grated
  • 1/2 c. daikon radish, grated
  • 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp. ginger, grated
  • 4 Tbsp. whey
  • 1 Tbsp. sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
  • 1/4 c. Kochakaru (Korean chili pepper powder) or 1/2 tsp. dried chili flakes
Combine all the vegetables, salt and whey in a large bowl. Squeeze all the vegetables until the juices have been released. Squeeze for about 10 minutes. 

Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Put the vegetables into 2 quart jars, packing down the vegetables well so the juices cover the vegetables and are at least an inch from the top of the jar. 

kimchi

Let these set out at room temperature for 3 days and then refrigerate to slow the fermentation process. I used lids on mine, but left them loose so they don't build up any pressure from the fermentation process. The kimchi is ready to be eaten at this point. 

*I call this quick kimchi because some is fermented much longer and remember the aroma coming from dorm room experiments from exchange students making their own under their beds in college.

Crock Pot

Korean Tacos in the Crock Pot
from Angela's Kitchen

You Will Need:
  • 3 lb. beef roast
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • 10 cloves of garlic, smashed
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 2 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
  • 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp. jalapeno, seeded and diced
Place all the ingredients in your crock pot and turn on for 8 - 10 hours.

Fork shred and serve on tortillas with kimchi.

shredded beef

Enjoy!


Andrea
Pin It

35 comments:

  1. These sound delicious and I would probably really enjoy them. Not sure if I could find the time to make them. Perhaps I will go to a Korean Restaurant (we do have them in NY) and try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a unique and tasty kim chi! It does have quite a distinct scent, doesn't it? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so good! Great choice for SRC!
    Heather @ Join Us, Pull up a Chair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good and unique. Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm...what a tasty meal! We love kimchi. Great SRC selection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds deliciuous and I love the quick kimchee recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go all out on this post. I didn't know and have never heard of Kimchi and glad you included the recipe. Ummmmm...wonder if my family will eat it. The tacos really look super good and pretty easy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! that sounds absolutely amazing! I would love to give this a try. It would make a delicious dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE tacos! #1 food in our household! And Kimchi?!?! What a wonderful idea. Now that you have given me a great quick recipe, I'm going to have to make it. I know we will love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Andrea,
    Your Korean Tacos look delicious. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! These sound delicious. Meat in the crockpot like this always seems to come out super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look absolutely wonderful! Thank you for the recipe for Kimchi.. I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mouth just watered. I will have to give them a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yum. Both of those recipes look like keepers - I'm a huge fan of deliciousness that comes from the crock pot :) How great that this was also able to give you a taste of your past adventures - I think that's the best part about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks wonderful! I've never had kimchi and now I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How dare you not invite me over for dinner!!!! I want, I want, I want!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds delicious and looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't think of a Korean restaurant in Denver .. but surely one exists. These tacos sound wonderful. Good choice. I tried Kimchee in an Asian market and didn't like it. I really would like to sample it again. I'll have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll take two, please!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both the kimchi and the beef look wonderful, totally delicious!

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group 'A' SRC entry Loaded Potato Soup.

    Lisa~~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmm.... sounds delicious! I think I'd buy the kimchi just to make it even faster!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look absolutely delicious! I'm going to have to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds AMAZING! I am trying this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for this. We've only had some Korean tacos from a food truck but I'm sure these are much better!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Неllo there! Do yоu use Twittег?
    I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm
    absolutelу enjoyіng your blog and loοk forward
    tο new updаtes.

    my ωeb-site :: Download Gsa Search Engine Ranker

    ReplyDelete
  26. I use my crock pot every other day, I find it very simple to make recipes and healthy ones too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Crochet pots Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks and sounds delicious! It is such a twist on what I usually fix, I will have to give it a try! i really love Crock Pot recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. sounds different, yet good. I love my crockpot but definitely need to remember to use it more. I'm a fellow SRC member, Group D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness that sounds absolutely delicious AND easy. Thank you so much!! I will have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi! I am finally catching up on Monday... I am SO very glad you liked the recipes. Yours look delicious! And your comments about my blog have me blushing! I love SRC and all the new blogs and people you meet. :)

    I can't wait to check your blog out more! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'll be sending this recipe out on my Koreafornian Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin page! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. looks delicious! I have never heard of this before, is it spicy? I am going to add you to my linky list for when I post recipes so I can come back and link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. My son is 13 and has been fascinated with Korea for years. I can't wait to share this recipe with him.

    ReplyDelete
  35. bookmarked!!, I love your website!

    My blog post :: diet that works

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!