Monday, April 29, 2013

Making Your Own Easy Egg Drop Soup #Recipe


I am not a fan of salt.

Seems like whenever I go out and order a soup to go along with my Chinese food or Thai food, I always end up having a few sips and being done. I love to taste the ingredients in a simple soup, not the sodium.

If you have ever had a good bowl of egg drop soup, you know just how a simple broth can taste so delicious! No, really. You can savor the egg, the spinach and the green onions. It is a simple pleasure to drink.

Being 8 months pregnant salt and I are not great friends. If I eat something that seems a little salty, I know the following day I will wake up feeling puffy around my ring finger and feet. I would rather not feel like a plump sausage. Feeling pregnant is enough for this mama, thank you.

But I digress. Back to the soup.

I made one 2-week trip alone to China and will never regret it. It was my first time getting to try authentic Chinese cuisine and see some pretty amazing things including the Great Buddha of Leshan and pandas in a panda reserve up close (close enough to touch!). As always I traveled on my stomach. I sampled from food carts and vendors and even ended up spending a few days sick to my stomach in a youth hostel. But it was worth it.

Compared to the Chinese-American food I grew up with, vegetables and meat were not swimming in sauce or sodium. There was not a jar of Kikkoman anywhere to be found on the table and I never missed it. Instead I tasted the food and I have been missing those flavors ever since I returned. Pregnancy may have made me a little nostalgic, but I would do anything for some marble tofu or spicy eggplant right about now.


Egg drop soup is ridiculously easy to make and after you try your own, you will never want to order it in a restaurant again!


Egg Drop Soup

You Will Need:

  • 3 c. chicken stock
  • 2 c. baby spinach leaves, packed
  • 3/4 tsp. toasted sesame oil
  • 3/4 tsp. Thai fish sauce
  • 3 eggs, well beaten
  • 1/4 c. thinly sliced green onion + more for garnish
Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the spinach, sesame oil and fish stock and simmer until the spinach is wilted.

With a spoon, start stirring the soup. Get it going around quickly, don't stop stirring. Gently pour a thin stream of beaten egg into the swirling water. The eggs should cook instantly and create the thin ribbons. Add the green onions and season to taste.

Serve topped with a pinch more of green onions.

Enjoy!


Also check out my post on gyoza, homemade gyoza wrappers and cucumber & wakame salad - coming soon!
Andrea
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. ***RUNS TO ADD FISH SAUCE TO LIST***

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is something I had seriously never considered making myself, but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egg drop soup is one of my favorite things to eat at the Chinese restaurants, but you're right... there is a lot of salt in it.

    This recipe is so simple & delicious looking that it'll go along perfectly with my fried rice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to share this with one of my old friends she loves egg drop soup. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great recipe to try. Though I don't know if I can find the Thai fish sauce. Hmmm
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome looking! A friend of mine LOVES egg drop soup, but my biggest complaint about the ones found in restaurants in the amount of sodium in them. I'll have to give this one a try. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    Jenn, http://www.in-my-bag.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just so very neat and I just wish I liked eggs more than I do. However, my boyfriend would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome. Egg drop is my favorite food! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum! I love egg drop soup but never thought to make it myself. I always thought it was really difficult. I'm so excited to see that it looks doable. I can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This look delicious! I'll have to try it the next time i'm craving chinese!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love egg drop soup. I normally just go basic on this so I love all the extra flavors and ideas to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always wondered how to make this. It's one of my favorite soups when we go out. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, that seriously looks AMAZING! I love that kind of stuff. Thanks for the recipe, it looks easy enough to make!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Egg drop soup is my dads favorite! I need to give him your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree that American Chinese food is salty and the MSG makes it even worse. I love Egg Drop soup. Easy recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to try this! Thank you for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!