Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Eggs Benedict - From Scratch Hollandaise Sauce


There are a few different foods on my culinary bucket list. Some I have tackled already like mozzarella cheese and recently chocolate mousse. But there are some classic foods like a Hollandaise Sauce for Eggs Benedict that I hadn't gotten the chance to try for myself yet.

Well, this past weekend was the time to push up my sleeves and just do it.

This past Sunday the older kids went to their grandparents house for a sleepover. It meant I wasn't being rushed to feed everyone and I wasn't boxed into serving pancakes or waffles. Eggs Benedict is something I rarely eat, but do enjoy. I was just sure that homemade was bound to be better.

You know, it was.


No cans or powdered sauces in my kitchen! No, a good Hollandaise Sauce starts out with 4 real egg yolks.

I was surprised to see how easy it was to make my own sauce. The biggest thing is not to cook the egg mixture too fast. I created a double boiler with my glass mixing bowl over a small saucepan of water. Just keep whisking so it doesn't scramble.


I used Canadian Bacon pan fried to go on my English Muffins. I just love the sweet flavor.


The other component for Eggs Benedict are the poached eggs. The key is a gentle, but constant, simmer. I like to crack my eggs into a small bowl and gently tip them into the hot water so the whites don't spread to much.

Still, no matter how careful I am, I usually end up with a few poaching disasters. The egg above separated too much and the yolk was naked. Not my best work, but at least the Hollandaise Sauce covered it up.

I dressed my plates with a dash more of paprika and a pinch of parsley. It was a real Sunday morning treat.


Eggs Benedict

You Will Need:
4 egg yolks, at room temperature
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
pinch of salt
pinch of cayene pepper
4 eggs
4 slices of Canadian Bacon
2 English Muffins
parsley for garnish *optional

In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks. Then whisk in the lemon juice, cayene pepper and salt. Place over a small saucepan with about 2 inches of water. Bring it up to a low simmer and keep whisking constantly till the mixture begins to thicken and doubles in volume. Turn off the heat, but keep the sauce warm.

Place the Canadian Bacon in a skillet and heat through. Toast the English Muffins and place the Canadian Bacon on top.

Using the same boiling water, bring it back up to a simmer (small bubbles) and drop in the eggs gently. I crack my eggs into small bowls and tip them into the simmering water gently. Strain out the eggs when the yolk has reached the desired firmness.

If your Hollandaise Sauce has gotten too thick while sitting, whisk in a Tablespoon of the warm egg poaching water till the sauce is smooth again. Then pour over your muffin and garnish with a dash of cayene pepper and a little parsley.

Enjoy!


What is on your culinary bucket list? What things do you want to try making someday?
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!