Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Day of Smiles, Treats and Blue Pixie Dust

I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for Collective Bias and its advertiser. All experiences and opinions are my own. #CollectiveBias #ProtectPixieHollow


My home is a magical place.

Not just because my children are growing and changing before my eyes, but because in my home I never know when I will be accosted by a pirate...


or greeted by a beautiful fairy.


We pretty much celebrate dress-up and imaginative play on any day ending in "y". So, you can imagine that my kids are really excited for the upcoming Disney’s The Pirate Fairy. The Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital HD copy will be available for purchase at Walmart on April 1, you can Preorder it now online. We have the calendar marked.

Have you seen the trailer for The Pirate Fairy?



Trailer - The Pirate Fairy on Disney Video


Purchase The Pirate Fairy Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital HD at Walmart, and receive a free gift, The Pixie Hollow Bake Off DVD. This Walmart exclusive includes 10 animated shorts. On The Pixie Hollow Bake Off Tinker Bell goes up against Pixie Hollow's culinary superstars and the head baking fairy Gelata (voiced by Giado de Laurentiis). With the help of her friends, Tinker Bell must go head-to-head, "just tinkering with flour" as she calls it.

I know my kids would love to see these bonus animated shorts.


The only thing that gets my kids even more excited than dressing up? Getting to help out in the kitchen. We decided to create one healthy fairy-inspired item and one healthy pirate-inspired item that each child could help with. To get all our fresh supplies we headed in as a family to Walmart for a little shopping.



From bags of lemons to our avocados and frozen blueberries, we found everything we needed for our magical treats. I was just thrilled to also grab the rest of our household essentials.

My daughter loves all things sweet and tart, so she helped me to make a Blue Pixie Dust inspired Blueberry Mint Lemonade sweetened with local honey. We started by having her freeze blueberries in  ice cube trays for serving.



Then we squeezed the lemons by hand. 

Yes, I do have an electric juicer, but I wanted to keep things safe and my 4-year old isn't ready to tackle appliances just yet.




While my daughter squeezed, I created a simple syrup using honey to sweeten our drink. A simple syrup is just equal parts sugar (or in this case, honey) and water. I heated it over medium until all the honey was warm and well mixed. While it cooled to room temperature, I put in a mint stalk to infuse the honey with the mint oils.



Then when the syrup had cooled, I took out the mint sprig and added the syrup to my pitcher of fresh squeezed lemon juice along with another 5 cups of cold water. Topped with frozen blueberries, ice cubes and another mint sprig, our lemonade was ready to go. For serving I put those blueberry icecubes in each glass and then added in the lemonade.

This ensure that everyone got some blueberries in their lemonade.




Print Friendly and PDF Mint Blueberry Lemonade with Honey

You will Need:
1 c. frozen or fresh blueberries
6 large lemons, juiced. Pulp and seeds strained.
1 c. honey
6 c. water, divided
3 mint sprigs

Create blueberry ice cubes by dividing a handful of blueberries into n ice cube tray. Fill with water and place in the freezer to freeze completely.

For the lemonade, juice 6 large lemons and place the strained juice in a large pitcher.

Create a simple syrup with equal parts water and honey over medium heat. Dissolve the honey completely into the water, take off the heat and add 2 mint sprigs to the syrup. Let it steep as the mixture cools.

When the syrup comes to room temperature, remove the mint sprigs and add the syrup to the lemon juice. Mix in 5 cups of cold water. Top with ice cubes, a handful of frozen blueberries and a mint sprigs. Serve immediately over blueberry ice cubes.


My son decided to make guacamole. We are pretty sure it looks like something one might find in Mr. Smee's galley. My kids watched Peter Pan earlier this year and they are both very into pirates, and gross foods. Well, maybe not guacamole... but bright green, this dish may be a little suspect. 


Our favorite way to enjoy this healthy treat is with all fresh ingredients and with a big bag of blue corn chips. Yes, the blue pixie dust really gets around. These just "magically" went flying out of the bag as my children tore into the bowl of dip.



Our Garden Fresh Guacamole

You Will Need:
4 large ripe avocados
2 roma tomatoes
1/4 c. red onion, diced
1/2 lime, juiced
2 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
blue corn chips

I sliced each avocado in half, pitted them and then gave my son the avocado scoop and a potato masher. Once the avocados are sufficiently mashed, stir in the remaining ingredients. Taste the dip after each small addition of salt and pepper to get the flavor just right, but not too salty.

My son's favorite part is tasting. He likes to know it came out perfectly.

Sqeeze a little more lime juice over the top of the guacamole just before serving to keep oxidation from turing the dip brown. Serve with blue corn chips.



Yes, my home is magical. I just love how a Disney movie can inspire us to be creative in the kitchen as well as tap into our imaginations. Now I can't wait to actually see the movie with my children.

Who in your life would love The Pirate Fairy? 


Do You have your own Fairies, Pirates or both?
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!