Monday, March 24, 2014

Chocolate Chip Malt Cookies


I love a good chocolate chip cookie.

I don't do pre-made dough or boxes or bags from the grocery store. I would prefer to make my own and eat them while they are still warm. Call it a quirk, it's just me.

My husband goes ga-ga over a certain bagged, store-bought cookie. I don't get it. But, he usually ends his evenings with a glass of milk and a few cookies. But, he works long days farming and so he earns his eveing treats.

Being the loving wife that I am, I try to bake him fresh cookies whenever I can. Just doing my part to save him from the bagged sandwich cookie horror he inflicts upon himself. Despite his cookie preferences, he has never turned down a good, fresh chocolate chip cookie. His preference is for a soft cookie, so these fit that bill.

The secret to soft here is an addition of cornstarch and less time in the oven. Make sure the cookies have a little color around the edges, but not too dark on top.





Of course, a simple chocolate chip cookie can get a little boring after a while. (Did I say that outloud??) So with a can of malted milk, I decided to try a chocolate chip malt cookie experiment.



Have you ever experienced a good malt? No, not to be confused with just another shake. A malt has a little richer tang to it. An added element to savor on the tongue. A deeper dimension of flavor to enjoy.

Well, you can add that to other foods besides just a malt. Believe me, the possibilies are just swirling around my head right now.



You can find it either with the cereals or near the powdered creamers. I wish it was stocked in the baking section of my grocery stores. That would make it easier for me to find. As it is, I think every time I need to grab a new can, I have to go on a new treasure hunt for Malted Milk.

Okay, if you happen to see a can, grab it and then try adding it to some of your favorite treats. I have used it in a pancake recipe and now here in these Chocolate Malt Cookies. See what you think. I bet your will become a Malted Milk fan as well.


Chocolate Chip Malt Cookies

You Will Need:

  • 2 1/2 c. AP flour
  • 1/2 c. malted milk powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 c. of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream together the butter and sugar. Let it beat for 3 full minutes, scraping down the bowl half way through. Add the eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla.

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, except the chips. Stir the dry mixture into the wet ingredients to combine. Stir in the chips.

Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Scoop approximately 2 tablespoons of dough onto a baking mat or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10- 12 minutes, just until the edges begin to change color.

Let them cool for 5 minutes before transering to a wire rack.

Enjoy!

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!