Monday, March 10, 2014

Create Your Own St. Patrick's Day Cupcake Wrappers and Toppers


You might have noticed that I love decorating cakes and cupcakes here on the blog. Lately I haven't had time to do a full-blown cake and cupcakes give me a simple way to flex my creativity. But, I must spend a fortune on cute little cupcake bobbles. From cute picks and toppers to colorful or themed cupcake papers, it adds up.

AND I have to find a place to store it all. I am pretty much out of room.

So for St. Patrick's Day I couldn't resist creating a fun cupcake, but why not create my own paper wraper and topper? It was easier than I thought with my Silhouette Cameo.

...Oh, and it just also happens to be March, with a paper theme in the Silhouette Challenge. Could this have worked out more beautifully?

I am sure some of the crafters had no problem deciding what to make with paper. But, I was at a loss. I don't scrapbook and I generally work with fabric or fibers. I didn't even have a good stash of scrapbook paper handy.


After I headed into Michael's for paper, I went online to the Silhouette store for options. I found a whole world of shamrocks and lucky sayings. But, I didn't find exactly what I wanted.

Here is where "ungroup" comes in handy.

I found a great cupcake paper pattern - I loved the scalloped edge! Then I found some shamrocks I enjoyed. The cupcake wrappers already were decorated... so I ungrouped them, took off the original embelishments, adjusted the size and orientation of my shamrocks and created a pattern that fit my vision.

And that is where my Silhouette Cameo rocks. I love the possibilities. Maybe soon I will create some wrappers from scratch, but you can always tailor designs to suit your needs.

What do you think?


Something was missing so I layered a stiffer and darker card stock underneath. It didn't take long to cut that out with the cutter as well.


I glued the two layers of the cupcake wrapper together and then taped the back to create a cup. The shamrock toppers were just as easy. I glued them to short lollipop sticks I found in the candy aisle.

With a little tinted buttercream, some white and shamrock sprinkles, I quickly assembled my lucky little confections.

TIP - If you are looking to create a high and well defined frosting swirl on your cupcakes, add a tablespoon of meringue powder as you are mixing your buttercream. It will stay in place and doesn't affect the flavor at all.


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Want to Check Out More Creative Silhouette Projects?

My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so check out all the great Silhouette inspiration! The Great Lamp Rescue Barnyard Animal Paper Garland & Party Details Sweet and Simple Easter Bunny Card Owl Theme Baby Shower Ombre Paint Chip Earrings & Free Cut File Spring is Blooming Drop It (Like It's Hot) Hexagon Tray Spruce Up Your RECIPE BOOK Gift Card Giving Free Cut Files Custom outlines for stamps Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Juice Boxes Wine Themed Bridal Shower Learn How To Make A Sewn Paper Garland! Moroccan Thank You Card 3D Flower Spring Wreath For the Love of Paper: Cutting Embellishments Create Your Own St. Patrick's Day Cupcake Wrappers and Toppers Swimming Word Art St. Patrick's Day Lime White Chocolate Chips Cupcakes + Freebie You're invited to a dog party! I'm so Lucky! Spring Wreath with SIlhouette Cut Flowers Tiny Princesses Paper Dolls Colorful Quote with your Silhouette Get Well Bouquet with Persimmon Roses Greeting Card Holder Baby Shower Invitations How-To Create a Custom Pillowbox on Your Silhouette Machine + Free Cut File! Quality Time Jar Matchbox Cover with {FREE CUT FILE} DIY Baby Girl Shower Invitation Candy Alphabet Travel Game Paper Garland Pretty Paper Roses DIY Geometric Heart Journal Hand Made Decorations for a Pirate Party Wedding Shower Gift Heart Map Decoupaged Letters (A scanner + A Silhouette = Spectacular results!) Easter Pop-up Box Card with Sweet Sorbet Designer Paper from Stampin' Up! Better World Greeting Cards Star Wars Silhouette Canvas Monogrammed Gifts Make Printable Gift Wrap with your Silhouette Software Free Printable: Blank Banner with free Silhouette Cut File
1. McCall Manor // 2. The Turquoise Home // 3. Creative Savings // 4. Sandpaper and Glue // 5. The Thinking Closet // 6. Sowdering About in Seattle // 7. Persia Lou // 8. From Wine to Whine // 9. Dream a Little Bigger // 10. Please Excuse My Craftermath... // 11. Play. Party. Pin. // 12. Everyday Paper // 13. Practically Functional // 14. A Tossed Salad Life // 15. My Favorite Finds // 16. The House on Hillbrook // 17. Adventures in All Things Food // 18. A Glimpse Into Barb's Life // 19. TitiCrafty // 20. The Experimental Home // 21. feto soap blog // 22. Creative Ramblings // 23. The Stamp Doc // 24. Ginger Snap Crafts // 25. Simply Kelly Designs // 26. Whats Next Ma // 27. unOriginal Mom // 28. Bringing Creativity 2 Life // 29. Cutesy Crafts // 30. My Paper Craze // 31. Create & Babble // 32. Grey Luster Girl // 33. The Sensory Emporium // 34. Lil' Mrs. Tori // 35. Black and White Obsession // 36. Mama Sonshine // 37. Weekend Craft // 38. Creative Carnival // 39. Peace, Love and Joyce // 40. Tried & True // 41. The Frill of Life // 42. Dragonfly & Lily Pads // 43. Get Silvered // 44. Minted Strawberry

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!