Sunday, July 13, 2014

Blueberry Lemon Baked Donuts - July Secret Recipe Club #Recipe


This year the blueberry patch has offered up a surprising amount of blueberries. It is a new patch and the plants are still really young. I can only imagine how many blueberries will be out there next Summer.

During morning walks I started making it a habbit to walk out with the kids and pick a container or two full of fruit. Blueberries are one of our favorites, but with a constant supply I wanted to move beyond our usual blueberry pancakes or blueberry crisp and find a new favorite.

This month's Secret Recipe Club assignment gave me just the chance!

Secret Recipe Club

This month I was assigned to Emily's blog, It Bakes Me Happy. A fellow food lover, her blog was born out of the need for a new hobby and a love of baking to share with others. Well, I'm happy she decided to fill her free time with baking because I was able to find and make these Blueberry Lemon Donuts from her site. And yes, I was feeling pretty happy afterwards.


I enjoy donuts, but I am not a big fan of the frying involved. I now do most of my donut baking with this trusty little donut pan. If you don't have one, I highly suggest fixing that quickly.

Blueberries and lemon just naturally go together and I adore the flavor, so despite Emily's other temptations, I knew I had to make these. That and who can pass over a chance to work with fresh fruit.


The key to using a donut pan is to make sure it is well greased. The pan is already non-stick, but with the juicy and sticky berries you may need a little extra help to lift them easily from the pan. On a side note, molten blueberries make a fabulous glue once dry.


Don't laugh, but I am actually a bit finicky about berry distribution in my baked goodies. I always feel bad for the cookie or muffin that doesn't have the extra kiss of chips or berries. So, I load instead of folding. A few in the bottom and a few more on tip.

But feel free to just fold. I'm weird.



Blueberry Lemon Donuts
recipe from It Bakes Me Happy

You Will Need:
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 2 Tbsp. applesauce
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 c. lemon juice
  • 1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. blueberries + a few more for the top
  • 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. lemon juice
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Grease or spray your donut pan and set aside.

In a small mixing bow, whisk together the wet ingredients: honey, applesauce, sugar, egg, lemon juice and milk. In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour. Add in the wet mixture and stir till just combined. 

Place a few blueberries in the bottom of each donut well, top with batter filling 3/4 full, them place a few more blueberries on top. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Let the donuts stand and cool for 5 minutes, then carefully, with a silicone stirer or toothpick, gently loosen any stuck peices from the pan. I run a silicone peanut-butter spreader around the outside of each donut before inverting.

Once cooled, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice for the glaze. Place waxed paper beneath your cooling rack and drizzle each donut with glaze.

Enjoy!





Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!