Saturday, July 12, 2014

Warm Grilled Potato Salad


Potato salad can be so.... bleh. You, know? It is actually one of the things I just skip at picnics or BBQs. I have had several twists on the classic potato, egg and mayo concoction, but it just doesn't do it for me.

So, I was thrilled when I first tasted my Mother-In-Law's Warm Grilled Potato Salad. It comes from Al Roker's Big Bad Book of Barbeque and has a flavor all it's own. I am still trying to get ahold of a copy... I might have to break down and order one used because I am dying to try some of the other recipes in there.


The keys to this salad are the grilled flavor, a light dressing with apple cider vinegar and mayo, and crispy bacon. Don't skimp on the last part. I try to get the best bacon I can find because those little salty bits really make the dish.

Now, do you see what this potato salad isn't like the rest?

This salad is more suited for at home meals than taking to a picnic because it should be eaten fresh. This is one salad that will taste fine the next day, but doen't improve with time.


Start with 2lbs of baby red potatoes. I don't worry about scrubbing them unless they are extra dirty. Boil till fork tender and then toss with olive oil and salt while they cool. This can be done ahead of time and just wait to grill them right before serving.


Make up the dressing ahead of time. You will want to toss the potatoes right before serving.


whisk together the apple cider vinegar, oil, mayo, as well as salt and pepper to taste.

With the grill on high, carmelize the outside of the potaotes. Place in a large bowl and toss with the sliced red onion, crumbled bacon and dressing. Season the dish with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped Italian leaf parsley.

Now, this will make quite the statement at your next backyard cookout. This is one dish that never lasts long at my family's gatherings. I hope you will enjoy sharing it with your own family this Summer.


Warm Grilled Potato Salad

You Will Need:

  • 4 lbs. baby red potatoes
  • 6 Tbsp. olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

_______________

  • 1/2 c. mayonnaise
  • 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
________________
  • 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumblend
  • 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 handful of Italian flat leaf parseley, chopped
In a large pot, cover the the potatoes with 2-inches of generously salted water. Bring up to a boil and cook till you can easily peirce the potatoes. Drain and transfer to a baking dish or try. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Once the potatoe are cool enough to handle, cut in half and toss again in the olive oil and seasoning in the dish.

Preheat your grill ahead of time. About 20 minutes before serving, put the potatoes on and turn as needed until they are crisp and golden brown. 

While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon, crumble it and set aside. Whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, oil and salt and pepper.

In a large bowl toss the finished potatoes with the bacon, red onions and dressing. Coat completely and garnish with chopped Italian flat leaf parsley. Serve immediately.


Enjoy!

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!