Saturday, September 20, 2014

Caramelized Banana Aebleskivers - A New Breakfast Favorite!


Whether you call them aebleskivers, ebelskivers, filled pancakes or something else. These little filled delights are simple, delicious and amazingly easy to customize. I finally got around to getting my own little aebleskiver pan, a simple cast iron pan from Lodge. Seasoned it, like my other cast iron pans, and then went to work on finding the perfect fillings for our.

One big hit I was excited to share is this caramelized banana filled aebleskiver. Perfect for our weekend family breakfasts. Now, you could go one step farther and add rum for a bananas foster filling, but I think the banana and brown sugar combo is just perfect for our family.

With 3 small children pancakes and breakfast for dinner is always a hit. With aebleskivers I can do another pancake night while still keeping it fun and different. With a simple batter, you could customize them to fit your family.


To start with this easy caramelized banana filling was a hit with everyone in my family. ...and a fabulous way to use up some bananas that were starting to brown on the counter.


The other little tweak I added for my aebleskivers was to make my batter slightly sweet with decadent little vanilla bean specks throughout. Yes, I am currently in love with my Nielsen Massey Vanilla Bean Paste. No more dried out bean pods in my cabinet!


So, you will need a good pan. You can find everything from the simple cast iron pans to non-stick and even electric versions.

I like cast iron. It needs a little more love and seasoning, but you can't beat the price and you know it will last for-ever.


Don't let turning scare you off. Just let them cook on one side... then with cooking chopsticks, skewers, knitting needles, etc. Flip them so the filling can ooze down and cook on the other side.

Filling gets dropped on top and it will magically end up baking inside the ball.


Then them brown all around then take them out and dust with a little powdered sugar or drizzle with warm maple syrup.

But, I like simple. The banana filling packs a lot of flavor and I just went with powdered sugar. What would you fill or top your aebleskivers with?


Caramelized Banana Aebleskivers

You Will Need:

  • 2 ripe bananas, sliced and quartered
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. + more butter for brushing the pan, unsalted
  • 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1  tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
  • 1 c. milk (buttermilk or whatever you have on hand)
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
Place 1 tsp. butter in a cast iron pan over medium add the bananas and brown sugar.Let the sugar start to bubble and gently caramelize the bananas. Let the bananas soften slightly, then take off the heat and let the filling cool slightly while you prepare the pancake batter.

Start preheating your aebleskiver pan over medium heat and brush lightly with butter.

In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp. butter and add this, milk, egg yolk and vanilla bean paste to the batter. Stir just to combine. Whip the egg whites till fluffy, but just soft peaks. Fold the whites into the batter.

Fill the aebleskiver cups 3/4 full and spoon a tsp. or so of banana filling onto the top. With your turners (I like long skewers) check to see your aebleskivers are not sticking to the pan. Once the bottom has good color, start turning the cake. Let the batter flow down into the bottom to create a round aebleskiver.

When they are done all around, remove from the pan and dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!


Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!