Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Cranberry Orange Syrup with Orange Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles


Got cranberries?

This time of year I make fresh cranberry sauce, cranberry orange bread and even cranberry muffins and scones... but have you ever made cranberry orange syrup to go over Orange Poppy seed Belgian Waffles? I highly recommend it.

Cranberry is one of the simple holiday flavors that I look forward to every year. I enjoy getting a bag of locally grown Oregon cranberries, but wanted to make something different this year.

Fresh syrup is so simple, but oh, so good.


I started out by throwing a cup and a half of fresh, firm and tart cranberries into a 2 quart crock pot. What can I say, they matched! 

I didn't have a lot of free time - with the holiday meal prep going on, so this was perfect to let simmer away overnight. I added some sugar and orange peel as well.


The next day I just needed to strain the berries, thicken the syrup and adjust according to my tastes. I don't mind my syrup having a little tartness to it.

These cool little bottles I found through zulily. I really want to find more for gifting.


Then I whipped up a batch of Orange Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles from scratch and smothered them in my new syrup.

My 7 year old licked his plate. They were that good.

But, don't take my word for it. If you have any extra cranberries, give this little recipe a try. Who knows, you might find a new love in this tart, fresh syrup.


Cranberry Orange Syrup

You Will Need:

  • 1 1/2 c. fresh cranberries
  • 2 c. water
  • 1 c. sugar
  • peel of 1 orange
  • 2 Tbsp. cornstarch

Place  the cranberries, water, sugar and orange peel in a 2 quart slow cooker on low for 8 - 10 hours or overnight. In the morning strain the liquid, smashing the berries against the strainer to release all juice. 

Place in a small saucepan and add water to the cornstarch to dissolve and lumps. Add to the cranberry juice and whisk as the syrup comes up to a simmer. This is a great time to taste your syrup and add more sugar if necessary. When it begins to thicken turn on low until ready to serve.


Orange Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles

You Will Need:

  • 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
  • zest of 1 orange
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 c. buttermilk
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed orange juice
Start by preheating your waffle iron.

Whisk together the dry ingredients. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and add to the dry. Stir till the dry ingredients are moistened through. Let the batter sit for 20 minutes.

Cook the waffles according to your waffle iron's instructions. Serve immediately with Cranberry Orange Syrup.




Mmm... such a simple way to enjoy the flavors of the season. And my whole house smelled divine during the process.

How do you use cranberries? Any creative recipe ideas?

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!