Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Making Time for Family - Easy Breakfast Ideas

 This Pepperidge Farm and 100% Florida orange juice inspired family breakfast shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions and experiences are mine alone. #WarmUpYourDay #CollectiveBias



This past long weekend I was excited to have the kids home without anything on the schedule. Things are still quiet on the farm, currently a soggy cold mess in the fields, so I my husband was able to take some time to be with family, too. It was the perfect chance to surprise my hungry crew with a special family breakfast

Do you have family breakfast memories from your childhood?

Growing up it was usually Sunday morning and involved Blueberry pancakes, my favorite. My Mom loaded each pancake with frozen berries while my Dad played D.J. with records, eventually giving way to CDs as I got older. That is where I developed my love of the English band The Police, developed an appreciation for classic rock and the tradition of family breakfast.



Of course, a great breakfast not only requires getting everyone to sit down at the table together, but it also requires a delicious, but simple, menu. I love taking simple foods I know my family will love and putting a little twist on them.

Since I don't have a stash of frozen blueberries handy, I went with my kids' favorite, apples, to make delicious waffles. Have you tried making waffles out of sweet rolls yet? It couldn't be simpler! 



I used Pepperidge Farms Apple Cinnamon Sweet Rolls to make my waffles, but I knew I would need a lot more topping. My kids are all about the syrups or fruit compotes. I grabbed a couple of apples, spices and set to making a large batch of sweet apple topping.

Each roll of sweet rolls came with some apple filling and icing. I went ahead and added the packets of filling to my own topping after it had simmered down a little and thickened.

This was all I needed to get my family's attention. Having something simmering away on the stove is better than calling them down to breakfast any day.



While my filling was busy simmering away, I went to work on my plate of waffles, er, sweet rolls to turn into waffles.

All I did was take them out of the can and loosen the rolls a little. I wanted them to take up more room in the waffle iron.



I placed a loosened roll on my Belgian Waffle iron, closed the lid and turned it over, as usual. It didn't require special timing or instructions. If your waffle iron tends to stick, I might give it a little non-stick spray, but my waffle iron is  new and these cooked up without a mess or fuss.



These were so easy to make! They were a little smaller than the usual Belgian Waffle, but that left plenty of room for our other breakfast sides to fit on our plates.



I served our sweet roll waffles with a side of scrambled eggs and ham, a mixed fruit salad and simple orange juice sunrise.

My kids favorite juices are orange and cranberry, so this was a simple way to make a beautiful and delicious drink to go along with our special breakfast. I love getting 100% Florida Orange Juice, since my Mom lives there, it always reminds me of her. 



We don't often have juice with meals, but I always enjoy serving orange juice to make our family breakfast special. My kids loved the color and simple orange slice garnish.


Pepperidge Farms Apple Cinnamon Sweet Roll Waffles

You Will Need:
  • 2 Cans of Pepperidge Farms Apple Cinnamon Sweet Rolls (8 servings, 4 rolls per can)
Heat up your waffle iron. Take all the sweet rolls out of the can and loosen up the rolls a little. Place them on a plate. When the waffle iron is ready, Place one loosened roll in the center, secure the top of the waffle iron and cook as usual. Remove and cover with a tea towel. Repeat for all the remaining sweet rolls. Serve with Apple Cinnamon Topping.

Apple Cinnamon Topping

You Will Need:
  • 3 peeled and diced apples. (I selected a good baking apple)
  • 1 c. water
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp. corn starch, dissolved in a small amount of water
Place all the ingredients, but the corn starch in a small saucepan. Bring up to a simmer and cook on low for 8-10 minutes. When the apples are tender, add the corn starch slurry, mixing well. Let it come back up to a simmer and thicken. Turn off the heat and let it cool slightly before serving. 

Enjoy over Sweet Roll Waffles.

Orange Cranberry Sunrise

You Will Need:
  • 100% Florida Orange Juice, I used Floridas Natural
  • 100% Cranberry Juice
  • ice
  • orange slices, halved for garnish



I keep things low-key by letting everyone serve themselves for breakfast. The table was set and everything laid out. 

The first thing passed around were the waffles and apple cinnamon topping. Of, course! 




There was something for everyone. My toddler went straight for the waffles and fruit, my son and daughter started off with their orange juice.


I just enjoyed a chance to sit back and enjoy my family. The rest of the day was a total blur, but at least I was able to talk to all of them over breakfast. I think that is the magic of family breakfast time. It is a chance to be a family.



I grabbed everything for my easy family breakfast at Walmart. You can pick up an in-store coupon near the orange juice for for $1 off when you buy both 100% Florida OJ and Pepperidge Farm Sweet Rolls. 

For more recipe inspiration, follow Pepperidge Farm on Facebook.

Why not stock up for your next family breakfast?



Do you have a family breakfast tradition? What is your family's favorite breakfast?
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!